Initial install error: "Failed to Start" Error RRS feed

• Question

• I had mesh installed on XP laptop, after adding a Windows, and installing msh for that user mesh will not start: "Failed to Start" message given. I tried uninstalling and installing msh a couple of times and still doesn't work.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please file a bug with logs per this post - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:13 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Hi FL_test, yes please send us your logs via Connect.  There is an open failed to start problem we are trying to track down and the more information we have the better.

Thanks!

-Ken
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for providing the link to your bug report. -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Here's what fixed the "Failed to Start" error for me:

All of the following steps should be performed from the computer(s) that experiences the error.

1. Login to mesh.com and delete the affected computer(s) from your Mesh - Select the computer, then choose Options > Remove device from Live Mesh.
    2. Shut down Live Mesh - Right Click on the Live Mesh icon in the Windows taskbar and choose "Exit."
    3. Click on the Windows Start Menu, Click Run (search for "Run" if it doesn't show up in the start menu), and enter the following text:
      1. Vista Users:  Copy and Paste -> %localappdata% \Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\Store and press OK (this filepath is not tested as I do not have vista). (moderator note - confirmed on a Vista machine that the above path is correct)
      2. XP Users:  Copy and Paste -> %userprofile%\ Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\Store and press OK .
    4. Delete the identity.sdf and device.sdf files from the folder. Indentity.sdf is located in a subfolder. The subfolder has a long name of letters and numbers.
    5. Start Live Mesh again on the affected computer(s). You will be required to sign-in and add the computer to the Mesh.  It is probably best not to use the same name/description you used for the computer before you experienced the error.
    6. Setup Live Mesh folder sharing exactly the way it was setup before you experienced the error.
    7. Your computer should start syncing again, but it could take up to a day before files that were created, deleted or updated during the start/sync error period fully sync up with your computer.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Thanks, Josh. I wonder if moving step 4 to step 1 might eliminate some confusion. Apparently, your steps are making the local install be a new PC no matter what the Live Desktop thinks.
    And, how did you arrive at this solution?

-steve

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Josh,

I tried your approach but I couldn't find the identity.sdf file, even after doing a search including hidden files. I deleted the device.sdf file but that didn't fix the problem. I also tried Steve's idea of removing the device from the mesh (step 4) and the issue remains the same.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Josh,

I tried your approach but I couldn't find the identity.sdf file, even after doing a search including hidden files. I deleted the device.sdf file but that didn't fix the problem. I also tried Steve's idea of removing the device from the mesh (step 4) and the issue remains the same.
    FL_test,

I've updated the above approach.  See if that helps.  The indentity.sdf will probably be in a sub-folder of the "store" folder where device.sdf resides.

Are you logged in to your computer as an administrator?  Can you view hidden files (See here for XP / Vista Instructions).?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Thanks, Josh. I wonder if moving step 4 to step 1 might eliminate some confusion. Apparently, your steps are making the local install be a new PC no matter what the Live Desktop thinks.
    And, how did you arrive at this solution?

-steve

Steve,

I arrived at the solution by looking at my Live Mesh log files.  This text jumped out to me:

The current device certificate in MOE accounts cache doesn't match the device certificate obtained from the AuthenticationProvider.  The cached device name is different from the current AuthenticationProvider device name. This is an unrecoverable error. Contact customer support for recover options.

To me it looked like a certificate expired or got corrupt somehow.  I didn't think reinstalling would clear all the Live Mesh App data, so I searched for some certificate files that I could look at or delete.  This is when I found the device.sdf and identity.sdf files.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Josh,

No luck, there is no identity file or other folders, and I am an administrator and all files are visible. Could this be an installation problem? I have removed and re-installed the program many times. Should I save the file and then run it, instead of running it directly from the site?

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:01 AM
  • In the folder where you found Devices.sdf, %localappdata%\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\Store, do you have a subfolder that is a really long name of letters and numbers? Inside that folder is the identity.sdf file.
    I would not reinstall again, rather I would await word back on your bug report or the Live Mesh team here.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier. Inside Store the only file is Devices.sdf, no subfolders or other files are present. I  did unhide all file tipes and nothing showed up.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:37 PM
  • It would seem to me that the lack of that folder and file means that Live Mesh has not properly installed on the PC.
    -steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Hi Steve,

The issue is that I've installed and uninstalled it a couple of time and there is no change. The same think with the folders. I think there is a way to get the installation log, will that help?

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:06 PM
  • This post explains how to gather all of the logs together and submit them attached to a bug report on the Connect web site for Live Mesh:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

I would hope that the logs can reveal what's wrong.

-steve

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Steve,

I uploaded the installation log files: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=434685

Thanks
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:17 PM