Vista activation problems AFTER original activation RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter called HP to provide the laptop activation information, and got our new Vista laptop to work fine without the activation requests about one month after purchase.

As Murphy's law would have it, I needed the new Vista computer with the great graphics for a presentation last night, and I booted it up and selected a user, and the activation screen responded that the activation was invalid. Any ideas ? The only thing that I might have inadvertantly done was hit the control-F4 during boot strap to see if the video would display well on the projector.  In any case, I now have a nice laptop that will NOT work due to the "new" Microsoft security model for the second time !!!!  Luckily, although Microsoft already has the money from HP, I am quite comfortable installing Ubuntu and getting some use out of the hardware. I feel very badly for most people that get into this position. Ideas that might correct before I reformat as a last step ?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:48 PM

Answers

• You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:59 PM
  •  

Hi gene,

In that case, click the option "Access computer with reduced capability". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Friday, September 21, 2007 6:39 PM

All replies

• You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:59 PM

• I do not see how you get to an MS-DOS screen, or a Windows screen for that matter. You can boot it up, and select a user account, and then it takes its time, and gives you 3 options : (1) reduced capability, (2) product ID entry, and (3) call HP for support. I have taken all 3, and none get you to an operating system. Additionally, we have contacted HP which said to call Microsoft. We called Microsoft which said that the valid activiation code (product ID) is the responsbility of the seller (Fry's). We have not called Fry's yet but I am not certain whether they will tell me to call HP, or Microsoft. Something is seriously wrong with the retail computer industry if this experience is fairly common.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 5:56 PM
  •  

Hi gene,

In that case, click the option "Access computer with reduced capability". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Friday, September 21, 2007 6:39 PM
  • As a tech for Staples I have seen this happen 3 times now.  The first time it was an issue of compatabilty with Quickbooks 2007. I was advised to make sure Microsoft and Quickbooks was updated ASAP or it may happen again. In all instances I was able to talk to Microsoft activation and it was resolved within a matter of minutes.

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:28 PM