Multiple extensions for a single OCS user? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to add a second ringing extension to an end-user's AD object?  It seems like it is possible on the Exchange 2007 side to assign multiple extensions, but I have not found a way to do so within OCS.

This would allow for a more seamless transition for our end users, by allowing us to move a portion of them at a time to the new service, without requiring a second gateway.

Configuration:
    1. pbx (ring) ->gateway->UM voicemail with traditional phone, migrate to
    2. pbx ->gateway->OCS(ring)->UM for voicemail

If I can support multiple extensions, I can support users in both of these states at the same time, by assigning a secondary extension to their communicator account.  If OCS doesn't support multiple extensions, I think need a separate gateway to handle directing the PBX(ring) traffic directly through to the UM server.

Monday, August 17, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• I have done this in a couple of scenarios where we split the T1 on the PBX side (or used multiple T1s going to gateway).

The coverage path for legacy desk phones on the PBX was set to one trunk group going over a T1 to the media gateway, which that port or those channels would forward all calls directly to the exchange UM server.

Then users who were enabled for OCS would have their extensions forwarded to the second trunk group which was set to forward directly to the mediation server.

http://microsoftucmadeeasy.blogspot.com/2009/06/exchange-um-with-ocs-and-receiving.html

This is somewhat outlined there in that blog post.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | WinXnet Inc
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:20 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you can't associate multiple numbers to an Enterprise Voice user, but you don't necessarily need a 2nd gateway to go straight to UM.

Your dial plan may get awfully complex, but depending on the gateway and PBX you could configure rules on the gateway to split where the call forwards to based on if the extension has been migrated yet. If you migrate in sequential blocks of numbers you can keep the rules fairly simple.

Monday, August 17, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Gordon,

You could also use a gateway that does the routing automatically as you migrate each user based on AD attributes, such as the VX series from NET. Each time you enable a user in AD for EV, the gateway will start routing each call destined for that number to OCS rather than the PBX.

Regards,

Michael
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:39 AM
  • I have done this in a couple of scenarios where we split the T1 on the PBX side (or used multiple T1s going to gateway).

The coverage path for legacy desk phones on the PBX was set to one trunk group going over a T1 to the media gateway, which that port or those channels would forward all calls directly to the exchange UM server.

Then users who were enabled for OCS would have their extensions forwarded to the second trunk group which was set to forward directly to the mediation server.

http://microsoftucmadeeasy.blogspot.com/2009/06/exchange-um-with-ocs-and-receiving.html

This is somewhat outlined there in that blog post.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | WinXnet Inc
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:20 PM