Songsmith on a Mac with Parallels? (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• singersongman posted on 02-01-2009 4:56 PM

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:25 PM

Answers

• DWWilkin replied on 02-06-2009 2:56 PM

I am trying it also in Parrallels 4.0. I don't hear any latency issues but I can not get my microphone either internal to the imac, or a usb one to be heard.

All replies

• dmorris replied on 02-02-2009 10:41 AM

Many users have had great success running Songsmith under Parallels or Fusion, so we encourage you to download the trial version of Songsmith and see how it works for you.  There are some issues with certain virtual audio devices that have caused problems for other Parallels/Fusion users, so I recommend that you give it a try and see how it works on your computer.

And let us know how it goes... happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan

• Bob the Tomato replied on 02-02-2009 6:16 PM

I installed it under Parallels but thought that the lag was too high. I played around with it for around 5 minutes and then rebooted into BootCamp and tried it again. I use an 8-Core MacPro so processors are not a problem.

Oops, the programs now says I've used up all my 6 hours! I tried to reinstall it under BootCamp and it made no difference. Something is fishey about their install program (more acurately something is wrong with the routine used to check the amount of time it's been open.)

I'm a long time Band In A Box user (at least 10 years) and always thought that one of it's missing features was just what Songsmith promises - the ability to somewhat enterpret what I sang into a useable chord progression. I'll probably still shell out the $30 since it has good possibilities but I'm not so sure of it's implimentation.

BTW - It's good to see Bob "Notes" Norton on this forum, He's a guru worth listening to.

• singersongman replied on 02-03-2009 4:44 PM

• Bob the Tomato replied on 02-03-2009 6:13 PM

I've worked a little more with this program now. A few observations:

1) Parallels has a problem with MIDI. The program can't keep MIDI data flowing well. I would hit record (in Songsmith) and the drums would begin and then the would change tempo and slow pitch and then rise again and go all over the map and I yell and hit the stop button and start over. Sometimes it would work correctly for a few bars and then the drums would go to half tempo (and pitch) on bar 5 or thereabouts. I cannot get a clean take at all.

2) I'm pretty sure it's Parallels problem because I tried playing the virtual piano found on Songsmith's web site (http://numbera.com/musictheory/keyboardpop.html) and the same problem accurs.I can play the piano for a few notes and then things go terribly bad.

I'll keep trying.

BTW - I as I mentioned in my previous post - DON'T install it in Parallels if you plan on using it in BootCamp, the program tells you it's time has expired.

Bob

• Bob the Tomato replied on 02-03-2009 6:19 PM

One more thing sorry,

Band In A Box works great under Parallels using their VSC Roland MIDI output but it depends on a latency of 430ms. That high a latency is unusable for live input but I never use it live so I'm ok with that.

Also, for those guys who already have the over 1,000 music styles that BIAB offers that's good news since most will work here (I'm guessing the "Real Styles" would not work at all under Songsmith.)

Bob

• singersongman replied on 02-03-2009 6:59 PM

• DWWilkin replied on 02-06-2009 2:56 PM

I am trying it also in Parrallels 4.0. I don't hear any latency issues but I can not get my microphone either internal to the imac, or a usb one to be heard.