Backup Wizard automatically excludes Recorded TV folder - want to override this exclusion RRS feed

• Question

• The Backup Wizard automatically excludes the "Recorded TV" folders on all PC's.  I REALLY want to back up these large and valuable folders on my HTPCs using my Home Server.  It's one big reason I built it.  How can I override this exclusion?  It's grayed out on the add/remove exclusions pop-up menu so apparently removing this exclusion is not "allowed".  Is there way way to "make" Home Server automatically backup "Recorded TV" folders so they can be restored in the event of HDD failure?

Editorial comment:  In my view this is a silly exclusion for those into multi-media multi-PC environments.  I have two PC's capable of recording multiple simultaneous TV programs and will soon have three.  I do not (yet) want to relocate all my recorded TV files to the Home Server as primary storage because the HTPCs are on WiFi and the slowness of this 100mb network makes recording and sometimes even streaming choppy.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:13 PM

Answers

• Rather than backing them up to your server, you should use the media collector that plugs into Media Center to copy them to the Recorded TV folder. That's the designed functionality. And in this case, the only functionality. There's no way to override that exclusion.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:01 AM

All replies

• Rather than backing them up to your server, you should use the media collector that plugs into Media Center to copy them to the Recorded TV folder. That's the designed functionality. And in this case, the only functionality. There's no way to override that exclusion.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Thanks for the response but I do not have an HP Home Server.  Mine is home built.  My understanding is that Media Collector is an HP product.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:14 AM
  • No, there's a component that plugs into Media Center that was added in a power pack.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:18 AM
  • To resolve my need I used Media Center Connector (not Media Collector) to move my TV recordings to WHS and have Duplication turned on for in-chassis backup.  Best I can do I guess.  Thanks!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:05 PM