Suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I know you may get mad at me for saying this and may delete the post or remove me from the beta program but, I think you want honesty and suggestions to improve, at least I hope. I mean that's one thing beta is for right?

Honestly, just install Norton 360 and look at their backup and restore section.

You can backup to any drive, except NAS. This is where OC beta 2 has the edge. 360 does offer Online storage and you can buy more space.

You can select ANY file individually or entire folders to include

You can deselect files from the premade categories, although I wish they allowed you to deselect folders because they list each and every single file individually, like say in the photo category. However, you can deselect the photo category and add each folder seperately.

The backup is made up of each file individually also, not one big (or many) long files with all the files packed together. Maybe an option for OC beta?

Point is, you have total control over what to backup and what not to backup and where to back it up to, including the systems harddrive(s). Yea, I know why backup to the same drive but there are times it can be handy and point is, you have that option. It just adds to the features and useability.

Don't get me wrong, I like One Care 2.0 backup and all, I just think it could use a lot more control and work.

You can set 360 to manual backups, instead of automatic. Right now, OC is either automatic or off.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:58 PM

Answers

• "You can select ANY file individually or entire folders to include"

One Care does this also, with the exception of system files.

"You can deselect files from the premade categories, although I wish they allowed you to deselect folders because they list each and every single file individually, like say in the photo category. However, you can deselect the photo category and add each folder seperately".

In One Care backup you can deselect files, folders, partitions or drives.

"The backup is made up of each file individually also, not one big (or many) long files with all the files packed together. Maybe an option for OC beta?"

This is a good suggestion. It would be great to be able to find and restore a single file easily.

"You can set 360 to manual backups, instead of automatic. Right now, OC is either automatic or off"

One Care backup is very configurable in v.2.0. Backup can be configured to run automatically with tune up, scheduled to run daily, weekly or monthly independent of tune up, and a manual backup can be performed at any time.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:43 PM

All replies

• "You can select ANY file individually or entire folders to include"

One Care does this also, with the exception of system files.

"You can deselect files from the premade categories, although I wish they allowed you to deselect folders because they list each and every single file individually, like say in the photo category. However, you can deselect the photo category and add each folder seperately".

In One Care backup you can deselect files, folders, partitions or drives.

"The backup is made up of each file individually also, not one big (or many) long files with all the files packed together. Maybe an option for OC beta?"

This is a good suggestion. It would be great to be able to find and restore a single file easily.

"You can set 360 to manual backups, instead of automatic. Right now, OC is either automatic or off"

One Care backup is very configurable in v.2.0. Backup can be configured to run automatically with tune up, scheduled to run daily, weekly or monthly independent of tune up, and a manual backup can be performed at any time.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I could not however set OC to manual backup period and thus it not be set to auto backup at a specific time. Would be nice to have a manual backup selection on the dropdown, that way it basically disables autobackup.

I could not deselect a lot of folders in One Care, like temporary internet folder for instance. I don't want to be wasting space and time backing up temp files but, it doesn't even show up on the list. That's why it would be nice to be able to select and deselect ANY file or folder, even system ones.

Maybe I am missing it but how do you select files/folder to include? I only see premade categories and an exclude section.

If a backup/restore feature is going ot be added, I want it FULL featured, TOTALLY customizeable, or what's the point of having it since you would need another program to do the stuff you wanted OC to do but doesn't, thus making OC backup/restore obsolete and thus one less usable feature.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:40 PM
  • As Jim answered, backup does appear to have improved greatly since the 1.x version, though there's still room for improvement. I haven't played with it much, so I can't answer in detail at this point regarding include and exclude, but that ability was there in 1.6, so I am pretty sure that it will still exist in 2.0.

I think you are correct regarding manual in that uness you have configured backup to run on a schedule, you can't perform a manual backup. Well, I suppose you could create a backup plan and then set the schedule, but run the backup manually. Upon completion, disable the schedule. I don't know if the plan is retained, though, if you want to run another manual backup later.

Thanks for the feedback.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:42 AM
  • What I am speaking of though as far as manual, is opposite of scheduled. No scheduled automatic backup. On the drop down where you set your schedule, weekly, daily, etc., have a manual selection. Either I have to schedule it or turn it off all together to get rid of the yellow icon and make it green again. The manual setting on the drop down would just tell the system, hey, leave the start backup selection active but, he will do the backup manually and not have a warning all the time. See what I mean? Right now it's off (thus you can't perform a manual backup) or it's auto. There is no middle ground.

I agree it has been improved and it does need more, that's why we are here and making suggestions that would make our life easier and OC even more valuable. Smile

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:32 AM
  • Yep - I understand what you mean about manual backups vs. scheduled and monitored. Good feedback.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:47 PM
  • just to add:

for selecting file/folders . There is an exclude folder link in the category selection page . Click on the link . A folderselection UX comes up . Check files/folders to back themup ( i.e. is Inclusion ). Uncheck the files / folders to exclude them from your backup.

-Rock

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:20 AM
  • Yes but, you can only deselect certain files/folders. There are folders that don't even show up on the list.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Yes, you won't be allowed to add system folders.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Why not?

It should allow selection and deselection of ALL files/folders/drives.

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I can't say for sure as to why. As designed, OneCare backup is for data, not programs and not the OS. If you need that kind of backup, you should be looking at image backup, which OneCare doesn't provide.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I think that's what we are asking for though. Something more full featured that will keep us from having to run yet another program all the time in conjunction with One Care. Since it has a backup feature already and since it runs all the time protecting us, it just makes sense to add a simple Include feature that allows us to choose ANY file/folder/drive to add (which would fall under the other programs category) and a exclude feature that would allow us to deselect ANY file/folder/drive so we can deselect things like temporary folders or whatever.

To be honest, it's one reason I haven't moved over to one care yet. It's why I use 360 but, I prefer Microsoft products and would rather run One Care, just like I prefer IE over Firefox. I do however set up the people I do computer work for with One Care, especially those that had more than one system. The backup feature was one thing that sold me to setting it up for people with small businesses. It would just be much better if it was more full featured.

An addition of an all inclusive include feature and and more inclusive exclude feature would go a long way to making the backup portion of the program something that would be used more, since it's there anyway. It's already a nice addition to the program, why not take it further than even what you have now?

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:55 PM
  • I can't answer that as I'm just one of the volunteer moderators here.  We don't work for Microsoft, we're customers. I do want to thank you for your feedback in this area, though. :-) Good discussions!

-steve

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Oh, ok Smile

Just as long as Microsoft gets this feedback, we can only hope.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:03 AM