locked
Schema update success but state is partial? RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    I ran the Schema Prep from the Setup Program and the log reports success, I also ran the command:

    LcsCmd.exe /forest /action:CheckSchemaPrepState

    It also reports success.

     

    However running the Ldp.exe verification I can not find the new objects.

     

    I have checked the logs of my DCs and I see Schema log events for them indexing new objects. I am not sure what is wrong.

     

    After closing and staring the installer again it reports this first step as Parital not complete.

     

    Anyone have an idea? Should I try to rerun the update via the lcscmd tool?

    Monday, October 27, 2008 3:25 AM

Answers

  •  

    Opened a MS support ticket and resolved the issue. It ammounts to a bad menthod of manual verification, and an odd issue with the Setup GUI.

     

    To verify it is much easier to use ADSI edit, that the ldp tool. You need to set the Scope of ADSI edit to Schema (I had never done that before) to see the values. We confirmed they existed.

     

    The setup gui shows the word "Partial" for  Prepare active Directory where the run button used to be. You need to click on the title "Prepare active directory" title and then it will flip and show success for the first step and allow you to run the forrest prep and domain prep.

    Monday, October 27, 2008 6:19 PM

All replies

  • Did you wait for AD Replication?

    Can you run the CheckSchemaPrepState Again?

    You should have a look at the logfile that it generates, it says success but that is really the creation of the logfile, it does not report whether the update is successfull.  So open the generated log

    Monday, October 27, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  

    I forced replication and waited it has been over 48hrs..  Yet Setup still shows it as partial and the ldp app does not show the ms-RTC-SIP-SchemaVersion which I assume should be under ms-Exch...

     

    Action  Action Information  Execution Result 

    Execute Action       Success
     

    Initialize Forest Object   FQDN: MyDomain.com
    Local Forest: True
       Success
     

    Initialize Active Directory Connections   Domain: mydomain.com
    Windows 2000 Native Mode Domain: True
    Global Container DN: CN=System,DC=MyDomain,DC=com
    Global Container Domain DC: ServerName.MyDomain.com
    Domain DC: ServerName.MyDomain.com
    Forest GC: ServerName.MyDomain.com
       Success
     

    Check Schema Prep State   Schema Prep State: Office Communications Server (Beta 3 Interim)
       Success

    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Check these links

    http://www.proexchange.be/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=913

    http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2197748&SiteID=57

     

    Prep State : Office Communications Server (Beta 3 Interim)

    That should be fine

     

    Did you also do the Forest and Domain prep?

     

    Check with these commands

    Lcscmd /forest /action:CheckSchemaPrepStat /PDCRequired:FALSE

    Lcscmd /forest /action:CheckForestPrepState /PDCRequired:FALSE

    Lcscmd /domain /action:CheckDomainPrepState /PDCRequired:FALSE

     

     

    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:58 PM
  •  

    No, I did not attemp the Forest or Domain prep as I was unable to find the ms-RTC.. value and setup indicates the first step is not complete. Why would I attempt the next step without the first step complete.

     

    Lcscmd /forest /action:CheckSchemaPrepStat /PDCRequired:FALSE returns invalid  arguments IE the syntax of the comman is wrong

     

     

    Lcscmd /forest /action:CheckSchemaPrepStat just returns the path to the html file I alreayd posted and states Action complete successfully.

    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Then check to see wether your DCs are replicating OK

    You can use the REPLMON tool from the Windows 2003 support tools

     

    If all AD replication is fine then try to check the Schema again

    Restart the Schema prep if all is fine and schema prep is still partial

     

    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  

    Opened a MS support ticket and resolved the issue. It ammounts to a bad menthod of manual verification, and an odd issue with the Setup GUI.

     

    To verify it is much easier to use ADSI edit, that the ldp tool. You need to set the Scope of ADSI edit to Schema (I had never done that before) to see the values. We confirmed they existed.

     

    The setup gui shows the word "Partial" for  Prepare active Directory where the run button used to be. You need to click on the title "Prepare active directory" title and then it will flip and show success for the first step and allow you to run the forrest prep and domain prep.

    Monday, October 27, 2008 6:19 PM