slow start RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 xp sp 2 machines with wloc installed, It's been taking 10-15 minutes for both systems to fully boot, I disabled all startup items and enabled them one at a time to find culprit, this started a couple of weeks ago and has steadly worsened, wloc is the slowdown, I maintain several other xp systems with wloc for other people, all are having same problem? tried the wloc repair tool, made no difference, security center always pops up saying wloc has a problem, but goes away about 2 minutes before wloc icon appears. It may be caused by the recent microsoft updates but I don't know, I still love this program.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:28 AM

Answers

• The only time I've seen this behavior is when a serious conflict was happening. I worked on a PC where they had 3 antivirus products loading and it took a good 15 minutes to finish booting. However, you've stated that you have done a clean boot and enabled things one at a time. Have you done a clean boot and only allowed OneCare to start?

It may well be a problem with a recent security update, but I've updated all of my machines and several are running XPSP2 with OneCare and no slowdown at all.

I recommend that you contact support for help in investigating this problem -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• The only time I've seen this behavior is when a serious conflict was happening. I worked on a PC where they had 3 antivirus products loading and it took a good 15 minutes to finish booting. However, you've stated that you have done a clean boot and enabled things one at a time. Have you done a clean boot and only allowed OneCare to start?

It may well be a problem with a recent security update, but I've updated all of my machines and several are running XPSP2 with OneCare and no slowdown at all.

I recommend that you contact support for help in investigating this problem -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  I unchecked alerts in security center and both systems boot quickly now? I've used support before and have always ended up with the hammer fix. The only other program installed is spybot search & destroy. 

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:48 PM
  • That sounds like an interesting development. I would not expect the Security Center alert setting to play any role in this. And Spybot would only be a problem if you have Tea-Timer enabled, I believe. However, I'm really not familiar with the latest Spybot version these days.

-steve

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:24 AM