Is possible add an existing spanned dynamic disk volume? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I currently own a computer used as a file server (music, photos, movies, etc.). It runs Window 7 and has 5 hard drives (one for windows and 4 for data). These four disks are Dynamic Disks, forming the spanned volume M:
    My question is: If I install windows home server on my computer, will it recognize the four disks as Dynamic Disk, Volume M: and can I continue to use it exactly as before? Is there danger of losing the data?
    In fact one of the hard disks is starting to fail. The only solution that I've found so far to remove that bad disc drive is to convert Dynamic Disks in Basic Disc, but to accomplish this is needed to copy the entire volume M: to another hard drive. However this is impossible because the volume M: is about 2.5 Tb; there is no hard drive of this size and if there would be absurdly expensive.

My hope is to add this volume to whs and add another new hdd, so that Windows Home Server can replicate data from bad hard drive to the other hard drives, and after that I can remove the bad disc.

Any help will be much appreciate. (Sorry for the weird English, I'm using real-time translator tradukka)

Mauricio

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hello!

I currently own a computer used as a file server (music, photos, movies, etc.). It runs Window 7 and has 5 hard drives (one for windows and 4 for data). These four disks are Dynamic Disks, forming the spanned volume M:
    My question is: If I install windows home server on my computer, will it recognize the four disks as Dynamic Disk, Volume M: and can I continue to use it exactly as before? 
    No.

Is there danger of losing the data?

Yes, you will lose everything as WHS automatically formats all hard drives when added to the storage pool.

In fact one of the hard disks is starting to fail. The only solution that I've found so far to remove that bad disc drive is to convert Dynamic Disks in Basic Disc, but to accomplish this is needed to copy the entire volume M: to another hard drive. However this is impossible because the volume M: is about 2.5 Tb; there is no hard drive of this size and if there would be absurdly expensive.

My hope is to add this volume to whs and add another new hdd, so that Windows Home Server can replicate data from bad hard drive to the other hard drives, and after that I can remove the bad disc.

Any help will be much appreciate. (Sorry for the weird English, I'm using real-time translator tradukka)

Mauricio

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:16 AM