Automated backups not occuring as scheduled RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS a week ago. I am able to do manual backups but if I leave the PC on and enable automatic backups with a scheduled overnight backup between lets say midnoght and 6AM it does not happen. I have tried rebooting the server and the clients but for 3 straight days now no automatic backup has occured.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    are the clients connected to an UPS device? This may cause such behaviors, since Connector sees this like a laptop running on battery.
    The connector software is started and the computer falls not into sleep during the backup window?
    How are the clients connected? Can you find any information in the clients event log, if the clients attempted a backup?
    Did you apply all updates to your Windows Home Server? (Which version numbers do you see in Settings/Ressources on the console?)

Btw. you can also change the time of the backup window if you prefer to have the machines backed up in another time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:43 PM
  • 2 machines,

1 desktop connected to UPS
    1 Laptop plugged in

The laptop does not go to sleep but it does go to a screensaver that requires the user to type a password to get back to the desktop after 10 minutes of inactivity.
    I launched the connector software prior to going to bed. Do I have to launch the connector? The WHS does in fact see both the Laptop and the Desktop. Manual backups work great.

Laptop is wireless
    Desktop is Gigabit wired ethernet

I will have to check the updates and the log but shouldn't the basic functionality of WHS have shipped with the first release, regardless of a "update" (its like buying a car, I didn't know the engine was extra)

I hope Microsoft ships Windows 7 with the Start Button, but knowing Microsoft they will provide that as a "feature" in SP 1.
    • Edited by Tiger250 Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:31 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:18 PM

• I will have to check the updates and the log but shouldn't the basic functionality of WHS have shipped with the first release, regardless of a "update" (its like buying a car, I didn't know the engine was extra)

Please remember that MVPs are not Microsoft employees and that they donate their time in the forums. Being rude to them is unnecessary and counterproductive.

As for the feature set in RTM, backup was included; however, the team has since released two Power Pack updates and multiple KBs based on new features and bugs reported both in these forums and on Connect.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:55 PM
  • The WHS manual backups are actually pretty speedy after the initial backup but the process of remotely logging in via the console and scheduling backups is not working for me. In my searches on Google and in this forum the only answer I can come up with is the way that the console resolves the address. When I log in to my IP address via IE it works. The Remote desktop connection does not work regardless of if I use the IP address or the nmae of the server.

How can I get the "clients event log", where is this located?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:06 PM
  • The WHS manual backups are actually pretty speedy after the initial backup but the process of remotely logging in via the console and scheduling backups is not working for me. In my searches on Google and in this forum the only answer I can come up with is the way that the console resolves the address. When I log in to my IP address via IE it works. The Remote desktop connection does not work regardless of if I use the IP address or the nmae of the server.

How can I get the "clients event log", where is this located?

The locations for all logs are as follows.

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista/Windows 7 machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

I realize you cannot connect to the server at this point but you may want the location at a later date.

You can also download the toolkit which is available here:
    x86
    x64

It has a connector troubleshooter which may be helpful.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:51 PM