Can I install or move Vail system partition (60GB) to a separate 60GB drive? (for example, an SSD) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up a new machine to test out the Vail beta. I love that it's now possible to exclude the system drive from the storage pool, but that leaves a bunch of unused space on the system drive. Is it possible to install system to a 60 GB drive (maybe an SSD) from the get-go with storage pool on another drive? If no, could I clone the system partition to a 60 GB drive and run it from there?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• Firstly in my opinion an SSD would be a waste for v2 as the speed of the SSD would likely be wasted on Vail for the sys drive - if you have lots of money then a pool of SSD would be interesting to see the performance improvement :)

you can change the size of the system drive for V2 - as documented in the release notes but you must leave at least 100gig free on the physical system hard disk for i presume the data pool etc - this is a bit odd as if you can now hide the system drive from the data pool anyway but is probably needed by the installer as the logic of do you have space for the pool or not and do you have other drives to make a pool might get a bit complicated or might be available in another build - we will have to see.

if you clone off the sys drive to another drive and then put it into your vail box - good luck with that as i can only see the pain that would cause :)

2 home servers plus vail test server 10tb storage combined
    • Marked as answer by J.P.B. _ Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Feature requests should go on Microsoft Connect (mod: linked)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:00 PM

All replies

• Firstly in my opinion an SSD would be a waste for v2 as the speed of the SSD would likely be wasted on Vail for the sys drive - if you have lots of money then a pool of SSD would be interesting to see the performance improvement :)

you can change the size of the system drive for V2 - as documented in the release notes but you must leave at least 100gig free on the physical system hard disk for i presume the data pool etc - this is a bit odd as if you can now hide the system drive from the data pool anyway but is probably needed by the installer as the logic of do you have space for the pool or not and do you have other drives to make a pool might get a bit complicated or might be available in another build - we will have to see.

if you clone off the sys drive to another drive and then put it into your vail box - good luck with that as i can only see the pain that would cause :)

2 home servers plus vail test server 10tb storage combined
    • Marked as answer by J.P.B. _ Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:54 PM
  • You can remove the system drive from the storage pool, and (in the preview at least) you can set the size of the system partition. If you set the size of the system partition to the entire drive, and (if required) remove it from the storage pool after installation, the system drive will contain only the system partition. Little (if any) wasted space will result.

Please read all of the documentation, as the capabilities I've laid out are stated pretty clearly there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Noted, RE documentation. (didn't realize you could resize the sys partition)

Thanks.

This is a tangent but anyone know how to add a feature request?

What I would propose is that they add the option to install sys to a different drive than the pool under 'advanced' in the initial install. This would allow installing sys to a 60GB drive, which would be especially useful when upgrading from one pre-release version to another (just replace the sys drive, or overwrite it, keeping the pool constant).

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Feature requests should go on Microsoft Connect (mod: linked)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Just want to make sure I get this clear - can I create a 100GB partition on my 2TB drive to install Vail, and then a 1.9TB partition that can be added to the pool? 

Second question, any sight of how WHS V1 users will upgrade existing systems to 64bit WHS V2 on the same machine without having to manually move/swap HDDs?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Just want to make sure I get this clear - can I create a 100GB partition on my 2TB drive to install Vail, and then a 1.9TB partition that can be added to the pool? 

Second question, any sight of how WHS V1 users will upgrade existing systems to 64bit WHS V2 on the same machine without having to manually move/swap HDDs?

In the current beta builds you can set the size of your system partition when you install.

The migration path from V1 to V2 will require you to flatten the box, so you will need to get your data off your V1 server, install Vail (wiping it completely) and then put your data back.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:05 AM
  • I moved my System partition to a smaller single drive using ghost cloning without issue.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:41 AM