What's new in Dashboard SDK RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Administration console in Home Server v1 has been renamed to ‘Dashboard’ to better reflect the information it provides. Just like the Admin console in v1, Dasbhboard still is the main user interface for administrative or management type of tasks on the Server. Dashboard is where you would go to monitor the health of the network, create user accounts, view backups, add shared folders, increase storage capacity, enable or disable media streaming etc. Dashboard is still not the place to put any day-to-day non-administrative tasks. I have posted a document on connect website (link is given below) which talks about the differences in the Dashboard UI compared to Home Server v1 Admin Console. In the document, I talk about the new Dashboard layout, the new UI elements introduced, the three different kinds of tabs that one can build as well as plugging into the existing Microsoft tabs and wizards. I also cover the extensibility aspects of Home Server v1 Admin console which are no longer available in Vail.

You can download the complete document here.

Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• Thanks greatly for the document, Dileep! I'm not really a professional developer these days, but there are some really cool extensibility features revealed there.

But what are the odds of getting this published in PDF form, or even Office 2010 (i.e. .DOCX) form? RTF has to be the least efficient way to deal with large images I can think of. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I would like to finally start to look at add-in development as I've had interest and I've never done one for WHS V1 so I do not have to unlearn.

Unfortunately the language I've boned up on is VB.net.  I've seen WHSV1 help on the SDK in VB/VS but all I've seen for Vail is C#/VS.  Have I missed it or will VB.net be coming later?

Thanks!

Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Umm, have you actually looked at the Vail DSK documentation? It has VB syntax included.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Ken, Thanks. The document originally was in DOCX. Let me follow up with Jonas to see whether we can post a DOCX or PDF version.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Yes, Ken is right. We've included VB syntax. The templates are all C# though, if there's enough interest, we'll provide VB.Net templates as well. Kindly provide a Connect suggestion and let community vote it up.

Please try the SDK and let us know your feedback through this forum, we would lvoe to improve it.

Thanks.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Thanks guys - the connect suggestion is posted. 
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:16 PM