Server Admin vs. Enterprise Admin RRS feed

• Question

• What's the difference between getting the MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Admin and Enterprise Admin? That is, I know basically from Microsoft's site, but can anyone say whether one is significantly harder than the other, specifically exams 70-646 vs. 70-647. I do already have an MCSE 2003 and so I can take the vista exam and 70-647 or just the 70-646 (and of course the 70-649 either way). I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going for the Ent. Admin. Does anyone care when hiring? Is one better than the other or are they just different?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

My personal take is to go for the Enterprise Admin cert as this covers a broader spectrum, including both client and server OSes (Vista and Windows Server 2008) apart from being more in depth (where planning and designed) as far as the server technologies are concerned. The analogy I get from other MCSEs/MCSAs/MCITPs is that the Server Administrator Cert is very similar in scope with the MCSA cert whereas the Enterprise Admin cert is similar to MCSE. No harm in going for the Enterprise cert, imho. =)

Regards,

Salvador Manaois III
    MCITP | Enterprise & Server Administrator
    MCSE MCSA MCTS(x5) CIWA C|EH
    My Blog: Bytes and Badz
    • Marked as answer by notRoman Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:14 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:32 AM
  • The way I understand it, the Server Administration exam shows that you can design and administer a server 2008 network, whereas the Enterprise Administrator is additionally focused on planning IT Policy, and the day to day running of an IT department. I think Enterprise Administrator is aimed more at IT Managers whereas Server Administrator is aimed at, um, server/network admins
    • Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:59 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

My personal take is to go for the Enterprise Admin cert as this covers a broader spectrum, including both client and server OSes (Vista and Windows Server 2008) apart from being more in depth (where planning and designed) as far as the server technologies are concerned. The analogy I get from other MCSEs/MCSAs/MCITPs is that the Server Administrator Cert is very similar in scope with the MCSA cert whereas the Enterprise Admin cert is similar to MCSE. No harm in going for the Enterprise cert, imho. =)

Regards,

Salvador Manaois III
    MCITP | Enterprise & Server Administrator
    MCSE MCSA MCTS(x5) CIWA C|EH
    My Blog: Bytes and Badz
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:32 AM
  • The way I understand it, the Server Administration exam shows that you can design and administer a server 2008 network, whereas the Enterprise Administrator is additionally focused on planning IT Policy, and the day to day running of an IT department. I think Enterprise Administrator is aimed more at IT Managers whereas Server Administrator is aimed at, um, server/network admins
    • Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:59 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hi
    I am MCSE certified and then

I has been cleared 2 paper 70-646 and 70-649 .But still I haven't recd credential of MCITP: Server Administrator.i recd only MCTS credential. Now what should i do .

Kindly response me as soon as possible.

hajifaysal@gmail.com

Friday, November 13, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Hi
    I am MCSE certified and then

I has been cleared 2 paper 70-646 and 70-649 .But still I haven't recd credential of MCITP: Server Administrator.i recd only MCTS credential. Now what should i do .

Kindly response me as soon as possible.

hajifaysal@gmail.com

A lot of people get both.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:44 PM
  • TO upgrade MCSE 2003 you need to give 70-648 & 70-649.

then only you get mcitp full credential and it is also called mcse 2008.

Monday, July 4, 2011 10:16 AM
  • TO upgrade MCSE 2003 you need to give 70-648 & 70-649.

then only you get mcitp full credential and it is also called mcse 2008.

YADVENDER Thakur,

MCP,MCTs,MCITP,MCSE,MCT

Monday, July 4, 2011 10:18 AM