WGA Needs to be Installed Before Every Download? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two PC's: an HP Media Center desktop and a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook, both running fully updated XP Pro SP2.

Every time I download an application from the Microsoft.com site it requires me to download WGA again. This occurs on both PC's. Why is this? I thought that the purpose of actually installing the validation app was to have it "talk" to Microsoft.com each time I visit and not put me through yet another annoyance.

I have read that so-called "big-box" PC manufacturers - the top 20 approximately - use OEM licenses for Windows and therefore the consumer does not get a true serial key on theur PC's. This is the issue that usually makes it difficult to reinstall Windows on such a PC if you swap out the hard drive.

I ran into this when trying to sign-up for the Windows Live Beta. As part of that process I typed in the Windows XP serial key on the label on the back of my PC and it was rejected as invalid. When I contacted Microsoft the tech explained that this is normal and that the key on my PC's label was used for thousands of PC's by HP because it's an OEM serial key. After asking me a few questions, he issued me a special key for the Beta program.

I subsequently downloaded and installed a small application from an MSDN board member that searches and finds all the Microsoft serial keys on your PC. Mine apparently has several, as Microsoft issues "special use" keys for specific reasons to owners of PC's from the "big-box" vendors.

Could this be behind the reason that I am forced to download and run WGA before every MS download? Because my PC does not have a retail key?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:09 PM

Answers

• WGA needs to be run (or installed, if not run) before use of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Download Centre, and some other features (IE7, etc).

OEM and Retail keys are classified differently (depending on EULA, manufactuer if OEM/SystemBuilder, etc). I would recommend speaking with your license retailer (or OEM, if the computer you purchased came from them) about the specific license you are using.

As for the Live Beta program, I do know it uses WGA validation, but the OEM license EULA is something I'm not 100% familiar with. Again, for a definitive answer, I would suggest speaking with your manufacturer.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I've submitted it to our team for further lookthrough incase you have further questions,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:57 PM
  • Windows Update will want to download the latest WGA Validation tool, so you may be recieving updated versions each time :).

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:06 AM

All replies

• WGA needs to be run (or installed, if not run) before use of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Download Centre, and some other features (IE7, etc).

OEM and Retail keys are classified differently (depending on EULA, manufactuer if OEM/SystemBuilder, etc). I would recommend speaking with your license retailer (or OEM, if the computer you purchased came from them) about the specific license you are using.

As for the Live Beta program, I do know it uses WGA validation, but the OEM license EULA is something I'm not 100% familiar with. Again, for a definitive answer, I would suggest speaking with your manufacturer.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I've submitted it to our team for further lookthrough incase you have further questions,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Phil, but is it correct that I should have to download and install the WGA program for each download?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Windows Update will want to download the latest WGA Validation tool, so you may be recieving updated versions each time :).

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:06 AM