Largest capacity WHS setup RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the complete noob question for the hour.  Actually 2 questions:

First, what is the largest WHS setup that anyone has seen or used?

Second, is there a limit to the total size that WHS will manage?

Thanks,

Patrick

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:27 AM

Answers

• Well, what I declined to add to my post, is that it seems unlikely that software would impose a limit (remember the 137GB BIOS barrier?)

NTFS has such an extreme capacity limit, I don't see how DriveExtender would be affected by the total size of the server.

Also, when those 1-2+TB drives show up, it seems plausible there will be another version of WHS available by then.  (if there's a problem with v1.0)

So in summation -- I think people are looking and not responding because we don't know of any limit.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• The largest WHS I've ever heard of is 6 TB.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:06 AM
  • Now, just to make my question clearer;  I want to know if WHS has a limit to the TOTAL size of storage that it will manage, for instance, my case will hold 9 hard drives.  If I threw 9 1 terabyte drives into it, would WHS choke?  What about in the future when 1.5 to 2 TB drives come into existence?  (Please don't start posts regarding the when drives of this size will appear; it'll happen, it's just a matter of time.)

I would love to think that WHS is scalable into infinity, but past experience with other Microsoft OS's shows that there is a limit (designed or otherwise) to manageable capacity.

I see a lot of people reading this post without giving any input.  Please post and let me know!  Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Well, what I declined to add to my post, is that it seems unlikely that software would impose a limit (remember the 137GB BIOS barrier?)

NTFS has such an extreme capacity limit, I don't see how DriveExtender would be affected by the total size of the server.

Also, when those 1-2+TB drives show up, it seems plausible there will be another version of WHS available by then.  (if there's a problem with v1.0)

So in summation -- I think people are looking and not responding because we don't know of any limit.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Thanks Hobbes!

I'm getting ready to put together a box with a boatload of space, so I wanted to see if anyone had hit a brick wall yet.

The WHS disc will be here Friday, so I'll be able to start building it this weekend.  Here is the preliminary data:

Antec 900 case (9 hard drives) w/ 500W power supply
    Intel DG965WH motherboard (6 sata ports, non-raid, gigabit LAN)
    PROMISE SATA300 TX4 (4 sata ports, non-raid)
    Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz, 800Mhz FSB
    2 x 1GB, DDR2 800Mhz RAM

SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB x 3
    Seagate Barracuda ST3500641AS 500GB x 4
    Seagate Barracuda ST3750640AS 750GB
    Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB
    Total Storage: 5TB (4.6 TB usable)

This unit will be a total multimedia server and backup point.  WHS looks to have everything that I've been looking for over the past 2 years.  I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations!  I'll post my results when it's built!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:57 PM
  • How did your setup go?

Please tell us if you have had any issues.

Friday, November 2, 2007 10:41 PM

• I posted my success here.

Thanks for inquiring!

I'll be adding the last 3 drives to the system this weekend (1 x 750, 2 x 500) and then I'll take a break.  I'll add more drives when 1TB drives become reasonable (< $120).
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:21 AM