none
windows xp forum RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am using windows XP with sp2 and I am having problems with the login screen. I have tried the control userpasswords2 and unchecked the users must enter a users name and password to use this computer. I still get that login screen where I have to click on my name to log in. Is there something else I am suppose to do?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:59 PM

Answers

• After downloading fixes from Windows Updates page or via Automatic Updates, you may notice that Windows XP no longer logs into your account automatically. This is usually caused after the installation of .NET Framework from Microsoft. It creates an additional user account called ASP.NET, which you can see in the Control Panel User Accounts applet. But, you neither need to remove this update nor delete this account. You can still configure Windows XP to automatically login using these methods:

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete the process.

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive an error message.

Open TweakUI (Click Start, Programs, Powertoys for Windows XP). Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon. Turn on the "Log on automatically at......" option, type your username and password, and click Ok.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:01 PM
  • also can u tell me how to cancel the autologin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:03 PM
  • If you've configured Windows XP to automatically login earlier, and want to cancel the auto-logon, try any of these methods

By default, MSGina.dll checks the state of the SHIFT key when AutoAdminLogon is 1. If the SHIFT key is held down during the boot process, MSGina.dll will ignore the AutoAdminLogon key value and prompt the user for identification and authentication information interactively. You can use this method to temporarily disable automatic logon at startup.

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Might be caused after the incomplete uninstallation / removal of an adware called WebSavings. This adds an entry in registry and loads the Java Class file present in it's folder, at Windows startup. This may also be caused by any other software. One of the most common cause I noticed is due to WebSavings / TopMoxie.

WJView is the Microsoft command-line loader for Java and it's a legit file. You don't need to extract a new copy of this file, nor download Java VM. Adware removers and the Anti-virus software removes the Java Class file without removing the startup entry referencing WJView. That's why the error is caused

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:25 PM
  • You may uncheck the WJView entry from MSCONFIG Startup tab. To remove the traces from the registry, re-check the startup entry and start Registry Editor. Browse to the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
    Value: "WebSavingsfromEbates"
    Data: "wjview /cp "C:\Program Files\WebSavingsfromEbates\System\Code" Main lp: "C:\Program Files\WebSavingsfromEbates""

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:35 PM
  • By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. You can customize it by changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder

• Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
    • In the Target box, type (or replace the existing text with) the following:

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path

Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type explorer.exe /e,

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:47 PM
  • When you press the WinKey + E keys, My Computer window opens with the folder pane enabled (Explorer view). If you wish to turn off the Folder pane view when you use the WinKey + E combination, you may use the registry edit discussed in this article.

Modifying the DDE string

• Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    • Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Folder \ shell \ explore \ ddeexec

• Backup the key by exporting to a file
    • Double-click (default) and set its data to:

[ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)]

• Close Regedit

How to revert back the setting ?

To undo the above procedure, set the (default) to the following:

[ExploreFolder("%l", %I, %S)]

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:18 PM
  • When you view an attached image directly from your email client (such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express etc), the attachment are stored in the Temporary Internet Files, before it's being previewed. So, the Temporary Internet Files folder becomes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer's working directory, and all the pictures in the Temporary Internet Files are lined up in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. To solve the problem, clear all Temporary Internet Files cache, including the offline content.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:21 PM
  • When you open the Windows Firewall applet (firewall.cpl) in Windows XP Service Pack 2, it may read as For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy at the top of the applet. If this happens to a stand-alone system, then you may use the instructions below to reset the firewall Policy settings to defaults.

Note that there are a plethora of Viruses which disable the Windows Firewall settings through Policy / registry settings, even in Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, it's a good idea to run a complete Virus scan in your system.

Resolution

Method 1: For Windows XP Home and Professional Editions

1. Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall

1. Backup the key and then delete the WindowsFirewall branch.
    2. Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.

Method 2: For Windows XP Professional

• Click Start, Run and type Gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following branch:

Computer Configuration
    => Administrative Templates
    ==> Network
    ===> Network Connections
    ====> Windows Firewall
    =====> Standard Profile

• Set the following options to Not Configured (defaults)
    • Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    • Windows Firewall: Do not allow exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow local program exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow Remote Desktop exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow UPnP framework exception
    • Windows Firewall: Prohibit notifications
    • Windows Firewall: Allow logging
    • Windows Firewall: Prohibit unicast response to multicast or broadcast requests
    • Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow local port exceptions
    • Exit Group Policy editor.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Default setting

• Desktop
      • My Documents
      • My Computer
      • My Network Places

Required setting

• Desktop
      • My Computer
      • My Documents
      • My Network Places

Solution

TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP allows you configure this setting easily. Follow these steps:

• Download TweakUI and install it
    • Launch TweakUI and then double-click the Desktop section
    • Select the sub-menu named First icon
    • Select the My Computer radio-button
    • Click Apply, OK.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:28 PM
  • This issue occurs if a third-party GinaDLL value is set in the registry, thus disabing the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) automatically. CSGINA.DLL is a filter driver of Cisco Systems VPN Dialer program. The filename may vary depending upon the software that you've installed.

Resolution

To resolve the problem and restore the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching, you need to reset the GinaDLL entry using these steps:

• Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    • Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

• Backup the key by exporting to a file.
    • In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. (You need to remove the whole value, not just its Value Data)
    • Close Registry Editor
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:35 PM
  • With no logon wallpaper set, Windows displays a pre-defined color for the logon desktop. ( If you have enabled Welcome Screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to see the logon screen background color. ) To change the logon background color to that of your choice, you need to alter the registry:

• Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT and press Enter

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors

• In the right pane, double-click Background

• In the Edit String dialog box, type the Color code in R G B format and then click OK.

Example: Type 0 0 0  if you want to see a Black background. You can choose any combination from 0-255

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:41 PM

All replies

• After downloading fixes from Windows Updates page or via Automatic Updates, you may notice that Windows XP no longer logs into your account automatically. This is usually caused after the installation of .NET Framework from Microsoft. It creates an additional user account called ASP.NET, which you can see in the Control Panel User Accounts applet. But, you neither need to remove this update nor delete this account. You can still configure Windows XP to automatically login using these methods:

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete the process.

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive an error message.

Open TweakUI (Click Start, Programs, Powertoys for Windows XP). Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon. Turn on the "Log on automatically at......" option, type your username and password, and click Ok.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:01 PM
  • also can u tell me how to cancel the autologin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:03 PM
  • If you've configured Windows XP to automatically login earlier, and want to cancel the auto-logon, try any of these methods

By default, MSGina.dll checks the state of the SHIFT key when AutoAdminLogon is 1. If the SHIFT key is held down during the boot process, MSGina.dll will ignore the AutoAdminLogon key value and prompt the user for identification and authentication information interactively. You can use this method to temporarily disable automatic logon at startup.

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:04 PM
  • can anyone tell me about "WJView" error at startup
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Might be caused after the incomplete uninstallation / removal of an adware called WebSavings. This adds an entry in registry and loads the Java Class file present in it's folder, at Windows startup. This may also be caused by any other software. One of the most common cause I noticed is due to WebSavings / TopMoxie.

WJView is the Microsoft command-line loader for Java and it's a legit file. You don't need to extract a new copy of this file, nor download Java VM. Adware removers and the Anti-virus software removes the Java Class file without removing the startup entry referencing WJView. That's why the error is caused

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:25 PM
  • You may uncheck the WJView entry from MSCONFIG Startup tab. To remove the traces from the registry, re-check the startup entry and start Registry Editor. Browse to the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
    Value: "WebSavingsfromEbates"
    Data: "wjview /cp "C:\Program Files\WebSavingsfromEbates\System\Code" Main lp: "C:\Program Files\WebSavingsfromEbates""

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:35 PM
  • can anyone tellme how to set Windows Explorer's default startup folder
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:46 PM
  • By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. You can customize it by changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder

• Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
    • In the Target box, type (or replace the existing text with) the following:

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path

Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type explorer.exe /e,

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:47 PM
  • can neone tell me how to open folder in singlepane using windows +e key.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:16 PM
  • When you press the WinKey + E keys, My Computer window opens with the folder pane enabled (Explorer view). If you wish to turn off the Folder pane view when you use the WinKey + E combination, you may use the registry edit discussed in this article.

Modifying the DDE string

• Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    • Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Folder \ shell \ explore \ ddeexec

• Backup the key by exporting to a file
    • Double-click (default) and set its data to:

[ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)]

• Close Regedit

How to revert back the setting ?

To undo the above procedure, set the (default) to the following:

[ExploreFolder("%l", %I, %S)]

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:18 PM
  • thanks krish,

that was really helpful

can u also tell me hpw to restrict Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from listing every picture from the visited web sites?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:20 PM
  • When you view an attached image directly from your email client (such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express etc), the attachment are stored in the Temporary Internet Files, before it's being previewed. So, the Temporary Internet Files folder becomes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer's working directory, and all the pictures in the Temporary Internet Files are lined up in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. To solve the problem, clear all Temporary Internet Files cache, including the offline content.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:21 PM
  • my Windows Firewall options are grayed out. can u helpmewith that?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:23 PM
  • When you open the Windows Firewall applet (firewall.cpl) in Windows XP Service Pack 2, it may read as For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy at the top of the applet. If this happens to a stand-alone system, then you may use the instructions below to reset the firewall Policy settings to defaults.

Note that there are a plethora of Viruses which disable the Windows Firewall settings through Policy / registry settings, even in Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, it's a good idea to run a complete Virus scan in your system.

Resolution

Method 1: For Windows XP Home and Professional Editions

1. Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall

1. Backup the key and then delete the WindowsFirewall branch.
    2. Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.

Method 2: For Windows XP Professional

• Click Start, Run and type Gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following branch:

Computer Configuration
    => Administrative Templates
    ==> Network
    ===> Network Connections
    ====> Windows Firewall
    =====> Standard Profile

• Set the following options to Not Configured (defaults)
    • Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    • Windows Firewall: Do not allow exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow local program exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow Remote Desktop exception
    • Windows Firewall: Allow UPnP framework exception
    • Windows Firewall: Prohibit notifications
    • Windows Firewall: Allow logging
    • Windows Firewall: Prohibit unicast response to multicast or broadcast requests
    • Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions
    • Windows Firewall: Allow local port exceptions
    • Exit Group Policy editor.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:25 PM
  • also help me change the Windows Explorer folder hierarchy order setting
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Default setting

• Desktop
      • My Documents
      • My Computer
      • My Network Places

Required setting

• Desktop
      • My Computer
      • My Documents
      • My Network Places

Solution

TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP allows you configure this setting easily. Follow these steps:

• Download TweakUI and install it
    • Launch TweakUI and then double-click the Desktop section
    • Select the sub-menu named First icon
    • Select the My Computer radio-button
    • Click Apply, OK.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:28 PM
  • recently i m getting an error message "A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching" while turning on the Welcome Screen. what should i do?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:34 PM
  • This issue occurs if a third-party GinaDLL value is set in the registry, thus disabing the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) automatically. CSGINA.DLL is a filter driver of Cisco Systems VPN Dialer program. The filename may vary depending upon the software that you've installed.

Resolution

To resolve the problem and restore the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching, you need to reset the GinaDLL entry using these steps:

• Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

• Backup the key by exporting to a file.
    • In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. (You need to remove the whole value, not just its Value Data)
    • Close Registry Editor
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:35 PM
  • how can one change the Windows Logon screen background color?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:38 PM
  • With no logon wallpaper set, Windows displays a pre-defined color for the logon desktop. ( If you have enabled Welcome Screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to see the logon screen background color. ) To change the logon background color to that of your choice, you need to alter the registry:

• Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT and press Enter

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors

• In the right pane, double-click Background

• In the Edit String dialog box, type the Color code in R G B format and then click OK.

Example: Type 0 0 0  if you want to see a Black background. You can choose any combination from 0-255

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:41 PM