Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully. RRS feed

• Question

• After cloning a hard drive everything works great except now I can not get WHS to backup this computer. When WHS starts to backup the client computer shuts down. The message in the events logs is "Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully." I've deleted this computer off the WHS and reinstalled the client computer. Everything looks good until I backup.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Marion

Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:22 PM

All replies

• Try deleting old backups for the computer, then running backup cleanup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Ken. I already deleted the computer in question and now doing a backup cleanup. I'll re install the client server when this completes and try another backup.

As always, thank you for your help.

Marion

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:00 PM
  • I completed the cleanup but client computer still won't backup. Just shuts down when WHS try's to back up. Any other suggestions?
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Any other suggestions Ken?
    Monday, January 14, 2013 2:56 PM
  • The blue screen stopped long enough to get an error message. It said Bad Pool Header. I googled this and found by disabling shadow copy provider in services.msc. This stopped the blue screen crash but still not able to backup. In WHS backup the error message is "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup.

Hope this helps for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Marion

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 PM