WHS Remote Backup RRS feed

• Question

• In live in NZ North Island I have a WHS for personal and SOHO reasons. Backup and remote access are my primary needs. Offsite backup is a real worry - One of my three sons lives in the South Island and has a WHS for similar purposes - can we automatically back up our user accounts and nightly backups remotely to the others WHS - if so this could be a great answer to our off site backup needs?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    such usage of WHS is not supported, and one WHS cannot backup the other machine by the means of WHS, so I can give you only some ideas:
    If the data amount is not to large (since the upload speed usually is very limited for home users) you could eventually create a script, which saves content remotely after mounting drives with a program like "WebFolders for WHS".
    It may also be worth to use a program like Microsoft Live Sync, but this requires somebody to be logged in on the server and I am not sure, if this would handle the shared folders properly (this could be circumvented by syncing from/to a folder on a disk, which is not part of the storage pool).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:06 AM