Vail Connector on Server OS RRS feed

• Question

• Fisrt off, I realize that this will never be a 'supported' solution, but WHS V1 will happily backup and restore a Server OS. I've used it at smaller clients to backup a server or two with no issues.

Are there any known issues with the Vail connector or backups on a Server OS?

I did manage to get it to just warn and then complete the install on a Server 2008R2 machine and it seems to be backing up the machine as expected.

-timotl

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hey there,

There be unsupported dragons indeed here...Please know that you have now edited an unversioned file and that this may cause unexpected results in servicing scenarios.

As some general comments, installer technologies do not typically like when files are changed as the hash they keep for them are now not valid. In updating scenarios, they might leave the file alone rather than update them and in uninstall scenarios they may do they same thing. AFAIK, with MSIs, this may be one of the cases where the uninstallation process may ask for origiunal installation media.

Thanks
    /Lennart

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:50 AM

All replies

• Try a restore. Let us know how it works out. As you noted, though, it's not going to be supported...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:24 PM
  • >I did manage to get it to just warn and then complete the install on a Server 2008R2 machine and it seems to be backing up the machine as expected.

can you extend on how you got the installer to only warn and complete the install on the R2 machine?

--joe

Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:25 PM
  • I just modified the XML file on the server that the installer uses to determine allowed clients.

Edit  C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml
    Addethis under the SupportedOS tag:
    <OS id="6" Name="Windows Server, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="0" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>

I don't think it's quite right since it did still warn me, but it allowed the install so I wasn't interested in playing with it further.

I still haven't had a chance to try it in a real restore yet and no one else has commented on it so... here be dragons.
    I should be able to test it this week and report back though.

-timotl

Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Hey there,

There be unsupported dragons indeed here...Please know that you have now edited an unversioned file and that this may cause unexpected results in servicing scenarios.

As some general comments, installer technologies do not typically like when files are changed as the hash they keep for them are now not valid. In updating scenarios, they might leave the file alone rather than update them and in uninstall scenarios they may do they same thing. AFAIK, with MSIs, this may be one of the cases where the uninstallation process may ask for origiunal installation media.

Thanks
    /Lennart

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hi All,  has there been a supported answer for this? I have been using my trusty WHS1 to back up my machines, including a 2008R2 Hyper-V host that I test and develop on. The old WHS began the 81% "cannot mount" error so I decided to temporarily back up the server on the VAIL Beta I've been evaluating. I was quite surprised to see that apparently we Microsoft users appear to have taken a step backward in supported OS options for WHS in favor of the MAC user. Is this a non-starter? If so I'll re-install WHS1 and be done with it. Vail will not much use to me if it can't backup a server OS.

Thanks,

Jay

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Jay, backing up a server OS to Windows Home Server is not, and will probably never be, supported. Period. That the V1 connector will install on a server OS doesn't mean it's supported, it just means that Microsoft didn't block installation.

Home users don't, as a rule, have other servers running at home. Quite a few do have Macs, however. If you have more business-oriented needs, you could take a look at a product named Aurora, which is based on Vail. It's also in beta, and it will have some more business-oriented features like supporting domain join (though not as a DC, I believe), more users and client computers, access to the Microsoft business "cloud" applications, etc. It will not have the same level of media handling as Vail, however, and I don't believe it will back up a server OS...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Every rule comes with exceptions. As a developer, I rather have WHS backup all my machines. Most of my MS developer colleagues/customers/friends use Windows server alot on their laptops, virtual machines etc at office and at home as this is what the target platform will be for SQL, BizTalk, SharePoint, IIS etc. I think many non-SBS/Aurora MS IT Pros and Developers are potential customers for WHS and rather have this than a mix of this for clients and WSB/DPM/other third party solutions for servers.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Is this work around still functional?  I updated the supportedOS.xml as outlined above but am still unable to get the client software to install on a Server 2008 R2 x64 machine.  Did you download the client via the browser link or kick it off some other way (after updating the xml file)?

Thanks in advance

thebread

Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Not getting this to work with Server 2008 R2 either... the connector install goes fine up until the end when it says 'connecting computer to the network', which is goes through and then says 'installation is cancelled'.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Just some more information... the failure shows up in the Application log as:

"Product: Windows Server Code Name "Vail" Connector -- Error 1920. Service 'Windows Server LAN Configuration' (LANConfig) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

When I checked, none of the expected "Windows Server..." services have been installed.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:22 PM
  • srnoth, you are getting further than I have been able to.  I can't ever get past the original error in the installer.  I have 2 server 2008 R2 x64 machines and can't get the client installed on either of them.  Did you install it using the link on the "servername/connect" page?

Thanks in advance,

thebread

Friday, December 3, 2010 3:57 AM