rc4 backups extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm attempting to backup all my data (353GB) to an external USB drive (a Western Digital 5000AAK, 500GB). My home server is running on a Compaq with a 2.8ghz pentium D and 1gb of memory.

It's been going for about an hour and a half now, and has only backed up 15% -- about 50GB. Isn't this only about 10MB/sec? This seems very slow...

Any reason why I might be seeing such slow performance? It's going to take about 10 hours to perform a backup of my system. A conventional file backup only takes 2-3 hours, if I recall.

John

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:08 AM

Answers

•  

John

You should take in to considerstion that you are backing up over USB.

Also we are allcalling this feature BACK UP but actually you are coping to the external Drive.

All aother back up after the first will be much faster if there are not much changes to you Data.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:35 AM
  • John

Rouza is correct - you are copying to USB and this can often be quite slow. Are you using USB 2? Is the port you are connected to a high speed USB 2 port? Have you AV running?

All these things contribute to the copy speed. If I use external USB drives to copy large amounts of data I often find it slow - and thats nothing to do with WHS at all.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:21 AM

All replies

•  

John

You should take in to considerstion that you are backing up over USB.

Also we are allcalling this feature BACK UP but actually you are coping to the external Drive.

All aother back up after the first will be much faster if there are not much changes to you Data.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:35 AM
  • John

Rouza is correct - you are copying to USB and this can often be quite slow. Are you using USB 2? Is the port you are connected to a high speed USB 2 port? Have you AV running?

All these things contribute to the copy speed. If I use external USB drives to copy large amounts of data I often find it slow - and thats nothing to do with WHS at all.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Yes, it is USB, but my recollection is that for regular file backups, I would be seeing about 30MB/s.

It does appear things sped up when it got to the 'large' video files I have (home videos). The 350GB took about 5.5 hours, or averaging 18MB/s (if my math is right). Still slower than I would expect for USB 2.0 (but, faster than USB 1.1 can do, right?).

John

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:02 PM