Licensing upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Business 32 installed (it came preloaded on my desktop, so it has an OEM license). I know the actual product key, as it shows up when I run Belarc Advisor.  I purchased a retail copy of the Vista to W7 Upgrade (Professional) and I have gone through all the prequisite steps as recommended by the manufacturer and the W7 Advisory program.  One thing that is not at all clear to me...

When the W7 upgrade finishes, will I be asked to enter the product key that is included with the retail upgrade, or will MS pick up my OEM license? 

As an aside to this, does the manufacturer continue to support me if the OEM license is over written (my system is still under warranty)?
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hello emmjay61,

When installing an Upgrade of Windows 7, please be sure to start the Upgrade from within Vista.  If you boot diectly to the CD and start the install that way, you will not be upgrading, but doing a Full Install instead and your Windows 7 Upgrade Product Key will not work in a Full install.

Now to answer your question, during the Upgrade Install, you will be asked to enter the Windows 7 Upgrade key.

I do not know about the Warranty question, you would need to ask the OEM.  However, be aware you do get 90 days of Free Technical support, from Microsoft, when you buy a Retail copy of Windows.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hello emmjay61,

When installing an Upgrade of Windows 7, please be sure to start the Upgrade from within Vista.  If you boot diectly to the CD and start the install that way, you will not be upgrading, but doing a Full Install instead and your Windows 7 Upgrade Product Key will not work in a Full install.

Now to answer your question, during the Upgrade Install, you will be asked to enter the Windows 7 Upgrade key.

I do not know about the Warranty question, you would need to ask the OEM.  However, be aware you do get 90 days of Free Technical support, from Microsoft, when you buy a Retail copy of Windows.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I will start Vista, then do the install so as to keep all my stuff in place. I was not aware that booting directly form the CD would prevent the product key from working. That's good information.

To be safe on the warranty issue, I will not upgrade until the warranty expires (1yr from now)...hope there is no expirery date on the upgrade that I purchased (no indication of that on the box). Hope MS does not have a 'to be done by' date either.  Can not see that posted anywhere on the MS website. Please let me know if I have this wrong.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:56 PM