New PC and the same copy RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to know if I can reinstall my original copy of Windows in a new PC of my own, in case of changing my machine for a new one.

And if I change my HD, or just add a new one, if I lose my rigths of owner.

I'm using a no legal copy of XP-Pro and I'd like to officialize this situation, but I need to know until where my rigths goes, because I won't to pay for something that I won't be able to use freely.

Silvio Camolesi

Brazil

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:58 AM

Answers

• If you purchase a genuine "Retail Version" of Windows XP, you may install it on a different computer in the future as long as you remove it (by reformatting the hard drive) from the old computer.  If you were to purchase an "OEM Version" of Windows XP, that version cannot be transferred to a different computer since it's license is forever tied to the very first compuer it is installed and activated on.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:23 PM

All replies

• If you purchase a genuine "Retail Version" of Windows XP, you may install it on a different computer in the future as long as you remove it (by reformatting the hard drive) from the old computer.  If you were to purchase an "OEM Version" of Windows XP, that version cannot be transferred to a different computer since it's license is forever tied to the very first compuer it is installed and activated on.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:23 PM
  • Silvio,

If you participate in the Genuine Windows Offer, the copy of XP that you get is a Full Retail License for the edition (Home or Pro) of XP that is now installed as a nongenuine copy on your computer.

The Full Retail License for XP can be installed on any computer, regardless of whether it had or has a previous version of Windows installed.

The Full Retail License for XP can be reinstalled as many times as you like, and then moved from one computer to another as many times as you like, as long as it is activated on only one computer at a time.

You are allowed to make as many hardware changes as you want without affecting the license.  If you make a lot of hardware changes, you may trigger a Product Activation, but that is normally something handled automatically in a few seconds over the internet.

The Full Retail License is the most flexible license for XP intended  for use by consumers.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:58 PM