Validation issues with genuine OEM copy of Office XP Small Business 2002 RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen similar issues on this topic, and have taken steps recommended, up to the Diagnostics.  This is a genuine copy of Office XP, all products have been activated, but we've had issues when trying to apply Office updates at Microsoft.com.  Test says "this computer has failed validation."  We've had this computer and software for 3-4 years, all original, installed, but have had problems over the years with activation prompts.  We've lived with the issues, but recently tried to resolve them again by uninstalling the Office program and reinstalling it.  The new microsoft tools bring us to this result of a failed validation.  Here is the printout of the diagnostics.  What else can we do to get this program to work and update correctly?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-C42GQ-4K93P-WRR6W

Windows Product Key Hash: zGWE91LG/8i6gVgPRvkhN+ZUZhg=

Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2213607-13399

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: de6f78a7-6508-4ea1-9202-e79affa933d6

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial:

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.17.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-530-645_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>de6f78a7-6508-4ea1-9202-e79affa933d6</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WRR6W</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2213607-13399</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1449542653-3563514748-4210259494</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AOPEN_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020412000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>ABLEDIRECTXP,ABLEDIRECTXP</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>D429369F0184C046</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Able Computer Systems, Inc.</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>7C6CBB76BBA3C7A</Val><Hash>5qUfDrkSQ2P989Y3DZYS/AM2wGY=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1790362-83645</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:57 PM

Answers

• Kathy,

Good morning!!! I am glad you are up and running as well as having a pleasant experience with using the forums. The daylight savings issue is out of the scope of this forum but I found a link which may offer assistance. Follow this and maybe it can offer assistance http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/cp_dst. Have a great week and if you need assistance with OGA concerns please feel free to re-post here again. 

Stephen Holm MS

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:09 PM

All replies

• Kathy,

I am sorry to hear about the complications which you have experienced off and on since you have owned your computer and MS Office. Have you ever posted on this forum and asked for assistance in the past?  Hopefully the information below will put an end to your problems. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. 

In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  
    1) Open My Computer located on your desktop
    2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks,
    Stephen Holm MS

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:07 PM
  • My thanks to Stephen Holm for his post.  Worked like a charm.

I've had this OEM copy of Office XP 2002 since I purchased it installed on my new Dell desktop in May 2002.  In fact, that was the date on the data.dat file Stephen said to delete.  Unlike Kathy, this is the first time Genuine Advantage has challenged its authenticity.

Before coming to this forum I'd tried the MS Failed Activation suggestion to open an Office application and run the Activation Wizard.  But all of the programs said my copy was already activated and wouldn't open the Wizard.  Nothing else on that site was of any assistance.  Very frustrating.

Thanks again, Stephen!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:05 PM
  • George,

Awesome!!! I am very glad this information was able to resolve your issue . Thank you for visiting the forum and if have any other problems please don't hesitate to re-post here for your OGA concerns.  Have a great week George!

regards,

Stephen Holm MS

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Hi Stephen - Thank you very much for your solution.  This DID work!  I had to activate by phone for some reason, but that took care of it.  I am now applying long overdue office updates.

FYI, when I tried to reply through the forum, I kept getting an error message, so hopefully this will post to the forum as well.

Thanks again for your assistance.  This is the first time I've used the forum and you offered a very quick solution. 

I may research problems we are having with Daylight Savings Time on our office computers (they keep jumping an hour ahead of the actual time) and all appropriate updates have been applied.  We've tried shutting off the "automatic adjustment" in the time zone section, but this then changes all of the appointment times in Outlook by an hour.  Hope there is a solution for this one as well.

Kathy Feeny

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Kathy,

Good morning!!! I am glad you are up and running as well as having a pleasant experience with using the forums. The daylight savings issue is out of the scope of this forum but I found a link which may offer assistance. Follow this and maybe it can offer assistance http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/cp_dst. Have a great week and if you need assistance with OGA concerns please feel free to re-post here again. 

Stephen Holm MS

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:09 PM
  • data.dat may also be on additional drives. I had to delete it from C: and E: before the activation worked. I had run out of space on drive C: about a year ago, so I had to move office to another drive to free up some space. After the activation Genuine Advantage (sic) still complained that the Office software had not been activated!!! :-(

Manually copying data.dat from E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\ to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\ finaly made Genuine Advantage happy. Would you please arrange to have Genuine Advantage to look at the right place for that data.dat file?

Many of us have spent a few hours dealing with this issue.Microsoft should spend a few additional hours improving the check quality. Your customers should not spend time troubleshooting OGA issues.

Kind regards

Daniel

Thursday, April 5, 2007 12:44 PM
  • George,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you are up and running. Please stop by again should you need further assistance.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:48 PM