Running scanner in safe mode RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi can somebody please leave very detailed instructions on running the scanner in safe mode?  The post that is up assumes that we understand how to change the directory and all, but I keep getting "File or directory not found."  More details would be helpful.  WhHat is meant by "with /?"  I don't get it
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:20 PM

Answers

•  

Brian;

This Microsoft KB should help, as you can copy and paste commands from there into the command prompt window without the need to be familiar with DOS.  The "with /?" refers to a commonly used way of finding out what are the available parameters (options) that can be used with a command, although it may no longer be necessary to add the "/? to the command to show what these options are, i.e. "SafeModeAVScanner /?"

"If you type SafeModeAVScanner without options, the following help appears:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live OneCare> SafeModeAVScanner 
    Windows Live OneCare Safe Mode Virus and Spyware Scanning Tool
    Usage: SafeModeAVScanner.exe [–s | –d <directory to scan>] [–b –h]"
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:40 PM

All replies

•  

Brian;

This Microsoft KB should help, as you can copy and paste commands from there into the command prompt window without the need to be familiar with DOS.  The "with /?" refers to a commonly used way of finding out what are the available parameters (options) that can be used with a command, although it may no longer be necessary to add the "/? to the command to show what these options are, i.e. "SafeModeAVScanner /?"

"If you type SafeModeAVScanner without options, the following help appears:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live OneCare> SafeModeAVScanner 
    Windows Live OneCare Safe Mode Virus and Spyware Scanning Tool
    Usage: SafeModeAVScanner.exe [–s | –d <directory to scan>] [–b –h]"
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  brianjcorbett wrote:

Hi can somebody please leave very detailed instructions on running the scanner in safe mode?  The post that is up assumes that we understand how to change the directory and all, but I keep getting "File or directory not found."  More details would be helpful.  WhHat is meant by "with /?"  I don't get it

The reason why you are getting the  "File or directory not found" message is because you are currently on the wrong path in the command prompt.

Follow the steps for you to be able to the go to correct directory of Windows Live OneCare folder through the command prompt(Dos mode): (Note: All the names that have brackets are the keys found on your keyboard e.g. [Enter]= Enter key)

1) Type in "cd\" then press [Enter]

2) Type in "cd program" then press [TAB], then press [Enter] if the word "program" changes to "Program Files"

3) Type in "cd *live" then press [TAB], then press [Enter] if the word "*live" changes to "Microsoft Windows OneCare Live"

4) Type in "SafeModeAVScanner –s –h" then press [Enter] to start the safemode anti-virus scan

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:55 PM