Need ability to submit multiple site maps pers site RRS feed

• Question

• Using content management systems that support hosting multiple sites in a single installation it is cumbersome to use robots.txt.
    Even within a single site we have multiple feature specific site maps, google allows up to submit all of them.
    So for example the main site map is siteroot/SiteMap.ashx but the blog feature also generates a site maps for blog posts at siteroot/Blog/BlogSiteMap.ashx

Am I missing something? Is there a way I can submit multiple site maps for a single site using WebMaster tools?
    If not I really think you should add it as it as a feature, it is possible with google.

Best Regards,

Joe Audette
    Primary Developer of mojoPortal open source ASP.NET CMS
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback. You are correct. We currently only accept one sitemap. However, have you thought about using a sitemap index file? That might solve your issue.

Brett

Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your help. So if I create an xml file in site map index format and list the urls in there for the various site maps, then I just submit the site map index as the site map? Is that correct?

Best,

Joe
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Correct. sitemaps.org has more information about halfway down this page: http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.php

Good Luck!

Brett

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Good solution.

Many Thanks!

Joe
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:35 PM