Labeling Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I just built and setup a windows home server over the weekend. I installed all my hard drives into backplanes that allow for hotswapping. I have 6 backplanes, each capable of housing 5 hard drives. But so far, I've just put in three 2TB drives (one of these is the primary), and 1 640GB drive. One thing I've been doing is this: aftering adding a new hard drive to the storage pool, I go into disk management and change the label of the volume. By default, all drives added are just labled DATA. I've changed the labels to 02-DATA, 03-DATA, and 04-DATA, with the number indicating where it is physically located. So 07-DATA will be the second disk on the second backplane. This way, if a hard drive goes bad and drops out of the storage pool, I can go into disk management, see which drive is missing, and replace it.

Could what I have done cause any problems down the road (everything has been working so far)? Is there a better way to accomplish this? If you install a much of hard drives that are identical, how does WHS expect you to know which one has gone bad?

I appreciate all help.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:47 PM

Answers

• I have 14 drives installed on my home server & had a similar problem until I came across an add-in.   Try this..... http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/
    • Marked as answer by PullnPray Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:34 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:59 PM
  • In theory it should cause no issues. However, I have never had a server running that way for an extended period, and I don't recall if I tested drive removal...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:50 PM

All replies

• I have 14 drives installed on my home server & had a similar problem until I came across an add-in.   Try this..... http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:59 PM
  • That looks like just what I need. Thanks Sirius.

I would still like assurance that the changes I made with the conventional disk management won't cause any problems (if anyone knows).
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Well I did the same as you until I got that add-in, & I had no problems with any drive's naming.  Found the add-in a lot better as you can use the wire frame to show your drives in the backplanes & in the correct order.  Well worth the time spent setting it up.

Monday, December 28, 2009 10:15 PM
  • In theory it should cause no issues. However, I have never had a server running that way for an extended period, and I don't recall if I tested drive removal...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:50 PM

I also have this add-in installed, but since I nstalled all of the hardrive in a Raid 5 (unsupported in WHS) I don't think it will work correctly. Using the add-in in the fashion that you are does make a lot of since, and would be extremly handy in that configuration.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:09 PM