Windows Search Service Error - The entry <file> in the hashmap cannot be updated

Question

• I'm wondering if anyone knows what the following error in the Application Log of my Windows Home Server Install means:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3013
    Date:  19/08/2007
    Time:  4:34:40 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BRUCE
    Description:
    The entry <D:\SHARES\USERS\KYM\WEDDING\READINGS.TXT> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I look through my event log I get quite a few of these with various files.  I can't work out a pattern to the files (variety of different files - mp3's, videos, docs).     The files themselves seem fine and not corrupted.  But I might get up to a dozen of these a day.   No errors reported on screen or via the console.

The only pattern I can see is that they seem to be documents and/or files that I was working on via a UNC path (eg. \\<server>\path\file.ext  around about that time.   One theory I have is because the Windows Search Service cannot do it's thing with the document because I have it open.  BTW, it is always Windows Search Service - Cateogry: Gatherer (as dumped above).

So anyone have a clue as to what the error means?

Cheers,

Kym

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:26 PM

Answers

•  

Kym,

We were aware of these error messages produced by Windows Desktop Search and had checked with the WDS team. The answer was these errors are ignorable. They have no impact on the functionality of either WDS or WHS.

Thanks,

Fan

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess this error sometimes happend when copying or moving larg files, and the connections between 2 computers some how get disconnect, due to the network problem and a like, checking the nic cales or change the ports on your swtich could solve the issue.

But that gussing matters tho.

My best.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 3:32 PM
  •  

Thanks for the feedback, but not sure about if it is caused by copying large files.  Normally the files that the error happens is logged against are just documents or mp3 files which are quite small. 

Just out of interest, why do you think it has to do with copying or moving large files?

Cheers,

Kym

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

I guess with larg files if the client pc have wire connection within your lan, is it possibly the client on wireless when that error happend?

My best.
    • Proposed as answer by kishan kishan Friday, December 11, 2009 2:03 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:15 PM
  • I had something similar a few days ago with the Start menu shortcut to Media Player, but it hasn't reoccurred since. I think that perhaps the file was in use at the time search was trying to index it.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:16 PM
  •  

Yup, that is my guess also.  I'm just concerned that it is something more serious. 

I hate seeing erros in my event viewer.

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hi abobader,

The network is wired and I don't recall having any dropouts on my lan. 

Thanks for the feedback, Kym

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:21 PM
  •  

Kym,

We were aware of these error messages produced by Windows Desktop Search and had checked with the WDS team. The answer was these errors are ignorable. They have no impact on the functionality of either WDS or WHS.

Thanks,

Fan

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:04 AM
  •  

Thanks Fan, that's great news.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:37 AM
  • Would it cause any problems with the server if Windows Search Service was paused or switched off? is it a service that needs to be kept running at all times?
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Paddy247,

In the past, I had mine switched off for over a week and there were no adverse effects to the server operation. (This was a period when I was 'fiddling' and wanting to see what happened to what!.

Colin

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:13 PM
  • The only impact will be on searching on the Remote Access web site. Windows Desktop Search is the engine behind that. It's not used otherwise, so if you don't use the Remote Access web site, or don't need to search, you can turn it off.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:42 PM
  • Well my mum occassionaly logs in remotely from her house. But search isn't a big aspect of that, so I guess it's not an important feature for us.

And I swear my server isn't balancing storage half as much since switching thie service off.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:54 PM
  • I received about 75 error messages in about 20 seconds in the log tonight, so i would appreciate a way to fix this problem, other wise I will need to uninstall the service. It just clutters up the log when I'm looking for more important things.

Any help is appreciated.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3013
    Date:  11/6/2007
    Time:  5:00:36 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DISCOVERY
    Description:
    The entry < file name> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:
     Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:48 PM
  • rmagrino,

I've checked again with our team, and you can safely ignore this error.

thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:04 AM
  • Mark,  I have the same problem with Windows search service on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise that I use as a programming workstation.   We do not care that the error is safe, what we do care is that the Event Viewer is filled with hundreds of these errors (and taking space in the .evt logs) In may case, I get about 60 of these every few days.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:39 PM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

rmagrino,

I've checked again with our team, and you can safely ignore this error.

thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I think that is a dangerous precedent to set.  Error messages should be meaningful or not logged.  Every time we ignore erroneous error messages we become more desensitized to error messages in general.  I hope that all makes sense to someone else.

Jim

Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:32 AM
  • Can we uninstall this? Is it safe?

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:24 AM
  •  

1. These false alarms are on the list of the Search team to fix, we just don't know when it will happen yet.

2. It is safe to turn off or disable the service. Only Remote Access depends on it, so as long as you don't search from remote access everything is fine.

Fan

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:34 AM
  • Why do Microsoft servers produce errors that can be ignored, if they have no affect why produce them, this only started happeniong on my server two days ago after windows updates, one of which was windows search service 4.0

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:28 PM
  •  

i've also got these messages, on jpg files in my music share. As a result, the mp3's are not showing on my player (Soundbridge).

The message is:

The entry <D:\SHARES\MUSIC\EDITH PIAF\LA VIE EN ROSE (1998)\ALBUMARTSMALL.JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Unspecified error

(0x80004005)

When I look in the map, the file that is mentioned is'nt there...

So i'm not really sure, you can ignore these errors...

Anybody know the solution ?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:22 PM
  • rmagrino,

I think you can safely ignore the error. Windows Search Service is telling you that it could not index the particular file at that particular time (I suspect because it was in use by Drive Extender migrating its data). Search Service will retry during the nect index cycle. In my experience one will see this "error" reported when adding or changing a file on the WHS shares.

Theo.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Ignoring the error doesn't explain why the mp3 files aren't showing on my player. It doesn't explain why the file mentioned isn't even in de map named.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:09 PM
  • This error is due to the file being open when the Indexor tried to index it and was not able to. When the file is closed, it will get indexed. When we were running WDS 3.0 on our File Server, we would get hundreds if not thousands of these a day. Microsoft suggested to upgrade to WDS 4.0. Now we only get a few dozen every day...
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:01 PM
  • My ultimate solution was to unistall it.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:42 PM
  • What is the name of the services that this is running.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Hi, Do you know the name of the services that this is called so I can at least disable it??
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:31 PM
  •  After upgrading to WS4 on SBS 2003, I'm pulling 120 - 160 of these errors per day.  The files being listed are in the Program Files path, which is in my exclusions list (or so it appears).

I agree with an earlier comment that "this error is safe to ignore" is not really a valid answer.  Looking at this thread, this problem has been ongoing for more than a year now.  Is there really no solution (other than uninstalling or disabling the service) that will *at least* reduce the errors to those files we intentionally index?  What is the point of configuring exclusion paths if they are not excluded, and therefore generate errors?

What am I missing?

Thx,
    (B.)
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Happens in Windows Vista too.  Would be nice if they fix this.  Isn't something I can easily disable in a HTPC Vista x64 implementation, as I need to search.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I keep running into these ignorable problems.  I don't understand what an ignorable error is. It seems at some point someone decided that the application is not working correctly and an error was generated to have the problem fixed. Currently my computer is about as fast as a caveman with a chisel and a stone tablet. I would like for it to work better and would spend the sometime as needed to fix the issues but apparently everything wrong with it is a know ignorable error.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:54 AM
  • I agree, and further, why does MS constantly produce software that does nothing but cause problems?  The old search worked.  The new one often does not work, and I'm forced to dig out the old one.  I think it makes computers slower and I believe WIndows search service combined with Trend Micro is causing my SBS 2003 box to lock up repeatedly.  People do not want this, at least I don't.  Really, what is the purpose of this POS?   

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:00 AM
  • I'm still seeing these in 2010 with PP3 etc. 

It's great to have an explanation, but this really should be fixed. Same issue after 2 years. Come on guys.

It's not good to have red/severe errors being recorded in what is effectively "normal" operation. This is surely at best an info message.

In my case having itunes running is causing a variety of errors to occur on music files - understandable.

I like to monitor my logs and check out what I don't understand to protect again pending failure/unreported issues, ERRORS like these really don't help.

It was mentioned earlier that the desktop search service is only used when searching remotely. What about networked search from a WIndows 7 client using "Locations". You can't even add to a location unless the source is indexed. So does this use a different service, or will disabling also affect that functionality (which IS useful)
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Just as an ASIDE - I've just switched from a Linux NAS. That box was reliable/stable & error logs were sparse (as nothing was wrong).

Accept that it's gui configuration was very basic, it had no search service, backup etc etc (although it did streaming as well as sharing). But it worked & didn't complain.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Hi there - Obviously this issue is now in the "too hard" basket - Could I please get some support from MS on this isssue? Other than you can ignore it.... I require the Remote Access aspect and also do not wish to have my logs inundated with so called "ignorable" errors.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:48 AM
  • I agree that ignoring this error is unacceptable. It is cluttering up the event logs making it almost unuseable as a troubleshooting tool. I solution needs to be found that will either remove these unignorable errors from the event log (at least as the red 'x' errors and change to info) or the underlying problem needs to be corrected.

I am using Server 2003R2 x64 and use the search feature while connected remotely. It makes it hard to troubleshoot legitimate issues when I have to wade through all of these 'ignorable' errors to find errors that pertain to what I am looking for.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:02 PM
  • I'm getting a few dozen of these error messages a day also.  I provide network support services to clients throughout my city.  My clients are concerned about my ability to monitor and resolve issues on their server, since I can't make this message go away.  They see the same error messages every day on the daily server reports.  The OS is Small Business Server 2003.

My questions are:

#1 - How can I delete the entry that is generating the error from the locations Windows Seach Service is trying to index?

#2 - Is there a way to suppress the generation of the error message in the event log

I'd also like to agree with the above posters that this does not reflect well at all on Microsoft that product updates introduce errors where they did not exist before, errors that are not really errors, and that we are being told to "ignore" errors when it would seem that there would be a simple fix in changing the posting to the event log from an "Error" to "Warning" or "Informational".  For this issue to exist since 2007 shows apathy and a lack of effort on Microsoft's part.

Respectfully,

Mark

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Any progress on getting a solution for this?  They are getting more numerous and agrivating each day.

and as a side note - I'm only getting these on my 2 HP Windows 2003 64 bit (yes they are up to date) servers running SAP installations.  I'm not getting these on my 2 other generic servers running the same Windows 2003 64 bit updated server installations.

Thanks

Delma

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:38 PM