So Far - -Is this a Bug? RRS feed

• Question

• Initial installation on my Test Server went very fast and smoothly.  I am impressed.  I also connected an external USB drive and it set it up as a "out of pool" backup drive just fine.  Great.

1. The Windows Home Server setup process will no longer report an issue with Windows Desktop Search service during the initial installation of a home server from the Windows Home Server Installation DVD.

Mine still displays this dumb screen  on startup.  Is this a Bug worth reporting?

2.  The Windows Home Server logo should now be correctly displayed during the initial setup of a new home server.

Mine still shows Windows Server 2003 during startup.  Is this a Bug worth reporting?

I have one of my Vista x86 clients connected and it backed up just fine last night.  After a couple more days I will try to break it (I mean test it).  For now, no problems.

I will be tempted to install PP1 on my main WHS soon if this keeps up!

Ted

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:32 PM

Answers

• 1.  Can you please be a little more specific on "dumb screen"?

2.  You have to do a brand new install of Windows Home Server - just doing an update will not make the Windows Server 2003 logo dissappear as this file can only be updated as part of the original isntall and setup.  No need to bug, unless you are seeing this after doing a server install with a DVD of the Power Pack 1 Server Installation ISO image.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:45 PM
  • The Caution screen is not a bug - "Working as Designed" is the best way to describe that one ...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:49 PM
  • It will appear on a reinstall as the SYS partition is wiped, and you are then clean installing Windows Server 2003 and the Windows Home Server components.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann [MSFT] wrote:

It will appear on a reinstall as the SYS partition is wiped, and you are then clean installing Windows Server 2003 and the Windows Home Server components.

For now (beta), yes.  The problem is it will only be on a reinstall if PP1 is part of the OEM DVD (which means only if you purchase WHS after PP1 goes gold).  For those of us who already own WHS, we will never see it.  (Not that it really matters anyway)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:49 PM

All replies

• 1.  Can you please be a little more specific on "dumb screen"?

2.  You have to do a brand new install of Windows Home Server - just doing an update will not make the Windows Server 2003 logo dissappear as this file can only be updated as part of the original isntall and setup.  No need to bug, unless you are seeing this after doing a server install with a DVD of the Power Pack 1 Server Installation ISO image.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:45 PM
  •  

Caution

CAUTION

You are logged on to the Windows Home Server desktop. Many standard Windows Server administration tools available from this desktop can break Windows Home Server.

Read the Release Documentation before you use any tool on this desktop and proceed with caution.

To avoid potential problems, use the Windows Home Server Console on a home computer. You can perform all administrative tasks using the Home Server Console.

This Dumb screen.  No, it wasn't a clean install just a PP1 upgrade.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:47 PM
  • The Caution screen is not a bug - "Working as Designed" is the best way to describe that one ...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Sorry to hear that!!!!!

I am impressed how well the PP1 is running for me.  But I guess I have to wait for the final release to see the other issues (Logo and name) disappear on my real WHS?

I might just bite the bullet and install this on my real WHS sooner rather than later just for the external drive backup feature as I keep it locked up in a fire safe with my videos and family photos on it.

Good job!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback !!

The logo will only dissappear on fresh installs - on existing home servers the update package can not update the product branding because it is buried in the core of the OS and only gets installed on disk as part of the intial install of the home server software.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:03 PM
  • How about a Reinstall?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:29 PM
  • It will appear on a reinstall as the SYS partition is wiped, and you are then clean installing Windows Server 2003 and the Windows Home Server components.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann [MSFT] wrote:

It will appear on a reinstall as the SYS partition is wiped, and you are then clean installing Windows Server 2003 and the Windows Home Server components.

For now (beta), yes.  The problem is it will only be on a reinstall if PP1 is part of the OEM DVD (which means only if you purchase WHS after PP1 goes gold).  For those of us who already own WHS, we will never see it.  (Not that it really matters anyway)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Think I will leave well enuff alone for now!  Duh!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Check the Startup folder on the WHS.  It's just a webpage that's loaded when you use the remote desktop.  I deleted the shortcut and haven't had the message appear since.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:55 PM