Remote Access limitation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope I didn't miss this but I would like to have the remote access for users to be more granular.  I would like to give my parents access to our family pictures over the web but not have access or even see they have access to my desktop and laptop.  Is there a setting for this and if not please add this setting?

Thank you,

Bret Macolino

Monday, February 19, 2007 1:09 AM

All replies

• I think you are talking about what a certain user can access remotely.  If this is true, then yes you can deny or allow certain users access to different things. 

You could create a user called "friends" and one called "family"  You could create a new share called "Party Pics" and another called "wedding".  You could allow all your friends access remotely through a the "friends" user account to "Party Pics" while denying access to the "family" user account.  With "wedding" share, you could deny the "friends" user account and allow "family". 

What's great about Windows Home Server is that, when you log on to the remote access page, only the folders you have access to will be displayed.

While you have created these new user accounts and shares, you could also leave the default share of "Pictures" set to allow and place all your openly shared pictures there.  There are all sorts of combinations you could come up with for this. 

Monday, February 19, 2007 3:24 AM
  • Joel,

That answers part of my problem.  I want to deny them access to remote control my workstations, really I would like to not have that option show up at all when they log into the server remotely.  I know that if the user is not a user on my workstation they cannot login, but I would like that to be another step of security.

Is this do-able?

Thank you,

Bret Macolino

Monday, February 19, 2007 3:41 AM
  • Why let them log into the server? Can't they just browse My Network Places for the shares?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  Macolino wrote:

Joel,

That answers part of my problem.  I want to deny them access to remote control my workstations, really I would like to not have that option show up at all when they log into the server remotely.  I know that if the user is not a user on my workstation they cannot login, but I would like that to be another step of security.

Is this do-able?

Thank you,

Bret Macolino

For Beta 2, that will not be possible.  You can log this in Microsoft Connect and post the link here for others to vote on it.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:56 PM
  • I'd like to see this, as well.  While all my PC's that have RDP capability are password protected, I'd prefer a "friend or family" user not to even see the Computers tab (or have it all greyed out).

Post this on Connect and mark it public.  Post the link here and allow others to vote on it.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    Post this on Connect and mark it public.  Post the link here and allow others to vote on it.

I've done so here. As well as voted and provided a workaround (turn RDP off on the home PCs).

--
    Ken
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:01 PM