Windows 7 MAK key free upgrade to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have computers running Windows 7 Pro that were activated using a MAK license, are these computers eligible for upgrade to Windows 10 without purchasing a new license?  I haven't been able to find Microsoft documentation about this, only speculation on forums.  

I used my deployment server to upgrade one of the machines successfully, but Windows 10 failed to activate after the upgrade.  I need to determine if this is because of the MAK key I used to install/activate the original OS, or if I have a different problem.

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

MAK product keys are only suitable for Volume License installations, you won't be able to use the WIn7 MAK for an upgrade to Win10.
    Ask your Volume Licensing admin for the suitable Win10 VL media and MAK.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:34 PM

All replies

• From what I understand, Windows 7 computers with MAK licenses can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free.  Is it possible that it failed because you used a deployment server, versus going through Windows Update or using the qualifying upgrade media?

To be noted, there is apparently additional licensing needed for "re-imaging rights."  Check out this thread, which appears to have a Microsoft employee answering people's questions on licensing and upgrade scenarios:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1096042-windows-7-pro-with-kms-activation-valid-for-free-windows-10-upgrade

The free upgrade can be deployed in two ways: • Through Windows Update The simplest option is to connect each device to Windows Update, and upgrade to Windows 10 through that in-place upgrade experience. • Deploy an upgrade image Upgrade media will be provided as part of the free upgrade offer. This media can be used on a machine (or multiple machines) to initiate the upgrade process. During the process, a Windows 10 license will be obtained from the Windows Store for the device, in the same way that a license would be obtained when upgrading through Windows Update. Note that the upgrade media is intended to be used to initiate the upgrade process from within a currently-activated Windows OS, not as bootable media, as the upgrade process validates the currently running OS to ensure that it is eligible to be upgraded. The Windows 10 Pro license created for the device during the upgrade is a consumer license that is tied to the device. The license will continue to work for reinstalling Windows 10 after the free upgrade period ends- on the same device only. The license created is not a Volume License and will not be in VLSC. The customer will need to contact Customer Support if they have questions. Windows Pro VL media cannot be used to perform the upgrade under the free offer- no license will get created for the device using VL media or activation keys. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade in Volume Licensing Windows 10 Pro Upgrade licenses will be available in Volume licensing, priced the same as the existing Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade. Purchasing a VL upgrade comes with all the tools and product terms customers expect in VL- VLSC to manage downloads and activation keys

"Yes you can use the upgrade Windows 7/8/8.1 KMS/MAK activated devices. 

You CANT use Windows 10 Pro VL Upgrade media/key to upgrade a device as part of the Windows 10 free Upgrade offer.  If you want to reimage using a standard image you created, you can, you just have to do it AFTER you upgrade your Windows 7/8/8.1 PCs to Windows 10 as part of this upgrade offer.  You will need to purchase a minimum of 1ea Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Volume Licenses to get reimaging rights for Windows 10.  The purchase is required to gain access to the Systems pool media on VLSC."

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Only Windows 7 retail and OEM (consumer licenses) are eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 (until July 29th). A Windows 7 MAK license would not be eligible since it is a Volume License.

Carey Frisch

• Edited by Carey FrischMVP Monday, May 23, 2016 9:05 PM edit
    • Proposed as answer by RabanserD Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:26 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  I clearly didn't understand the licensing terms from that other post, and retract my previous statement.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Hi, 

MAK product keys are only suitable for Volume License installations, you won't be able to use the WIn7 MAK for an upgrade to Win10.
    Ask your Volume Licensing admin for the suitable Win10 VL media and MAK.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:34 PM
  • this is absolutely the right answer 👌
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:48 AM