locked
Restore Failed: Event ID 266 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have received a restore failed result with Event ID 266 three times now, trying to do a full restore of a recent backup. After the second failure, I tried an earlier backup with the same result. It happens after about an hour or more each time, with about 30-40% on the progress bar.

    I am running WHS with PP2, fully patched.

    MS Help has no references relating to WHS. Can anyone advise?
    Bernard
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:05 AM

All replies

  • Hi Bernard,
    I have seen postings about this in context with an expiring DHCP lease time (if the router is configured to expire leased DHCP addresses after a short time, the network connection established for the restore is dropped).
    So maybe you can increase the DHCP rate or connect both the server and the client to a switch without direct connection to the router.

    (I assume you are using not a wireless connection, which is not supported for restore.)

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:23 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Olaf...

    I'll see what I can do about the DHCP rate. This is a concept I have not come across before.

    Both server and client are connected to a Netgear router whose router function has been disabled, so that it functions as a switch only. This is in turn connected to the router/gateway which connects us to the outside world.
    Regards... Bernard
    Monday, August 24, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Hi Bernard,
    I have seen postings about this in context with an expiring DHCP lease time (if the router is configured to expire leased DHCP addresses after a short time, the network connection established for the restore is dropped).
    So maybe you can increase the DHCP rate or connect both the server and the client to a switch without direct connection to the router.

    (I assume you are using not a wireless connection, which is not supported for restore.)

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    Hello Olaf...

    I have checked the router/gateway and it has no setting for DHCP lease time that I can find.

    Both the server and the client are connected, as you suggested, to a switch as described in my earlier reply.

    I must say though, the behaviour you describe is very like what I am experiencing.

    Regards... Bernard
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Hi Bernard,
    if you have a separate switch, you could attempt to connect both the server and the client to that switch without connecting this switch to the router.
    Therefore they will both get assigned IP addresses via APIPA without interference of other devices (maybe you will have to reboot the server for this).
    Now try again and we will see, if there are other reasons ...
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:28 AM
    Moderator