Switching to WHS 2011 7 & RDP RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS. I'd like to upgrade to 2011. If I do this will I still be able to RDP into the server? In the original WHS you could RDP into it but you were only supposed to use the Dashboard. What's the case with WHS 2011? Can we now defrag, etc, etc? Thanks
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:18 PM

All replies

• You are still only intended to use the Dashboard for server administration; this is unchanged from Windows Home Server V1. With the removal of Drive Extender, the list of tools that aren't likely to cause problems has grown (including defragmenting your drives), but there are still tools that can cause serious issues, so be careful and understand going in that there may not be a recovery path from some errors short of restoring from a backup of your server taken before the change which caused the issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Yes.

RDP works exactly like you would expect it to. When you log in, you basically see a Windows 7 type machine, with various modifications. The main exception is that IE is severely restricted to keep you from downloading a virus, since the server typically isn't running the average security suite.

But as the other author mentions, be careful what you do...all the maintenance tasks should be automatic, so it should not need you to do anything.

But if you want to reconfigure the hard drives for mirroring or spanning, for example, this is how I would do it - assuming you are comfortable with the above.

• Edited by OrcaK Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by OrcaK Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:32 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:26 PM