Online backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been looking at online backup options for the WHS server for offsite disaster recovery.

While such services were mostly prohibitivly expensive a year ago, I found a couple of newer companies that provide online storage (not file sharing etc.) for a very reasonable fee.  I looked specifically at Mozy and Carbonite as they offer the best deals and seem to have decent VC backing.

Mozy has the best reviews, but unfortunately, requires the more expensive Pro version to backup Windows 2003/WHS servers.  Carbonite has been working well for the last week or two and I've test-restored a few files without a problem.  Both the services work very quietly in the background.

IMO, a service like these two (and at these prices) would be indispensible as part of the Windows Live addon to WHS.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 12:49 PM

All replies

• I agree that online backup is a valuable addition to the functionality of WHS, though I believe that the online backup companies are the ones that need to put together a client that works with WHS.

I have a message into Mozy as I signed up for a 20 GB plan 9 months ago that gave me storage on multiple machines up to the aggregate 20 GB. Now that I am using WHS as my centralized storage/backup I want to be able to also do online back up from that machine but the current personal Mozy client won't allow me to install it as it sees WHS as a Windows Server 2003 load and they restrict that to using their business service.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I would agree that online backup, maybe something integrated with MS Live, would be a great selling point.  Not only would you be safe in the event of disaster, you would also be safe in the event of a catastrophic machine failure...

I'm guessing this would be something 3rd parties would probably run with, but MS would get a hand up in introducing some sort of pre-built interface as well.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 4:31 PM