none
Alert: The Internet domain name cannot be updated RRS feed

• Question

• All has been running well, and now I get the above error.  Seems like all is well.  Any ideas about this?  

If I "ignore" will it reappear if it reoccurs?  Seems like it happened only once.  

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:18 AM

Answers

• The problem was that I update my MS Live password to a more secure password.  Somebody else in the forum noted that special characters may not be accepted in some MS passwords... this was my case.  It would be nice to know exactly what is up with MS passswords.  I learned that maximum length is 16, but there is contradictory information of what special characters are Ok and not.  

Cheers and thanks for the interest.  The alert disappeared with the password fix.  

• Marked as answer by jerryyyyy Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:57 AM

All replies

• Now and then domain updates can fail for unknown reasons. Unless there is a problem you can safely ignore the warning.
    It will reapear on the next time the update is missed.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:44 PM
  • The problem was that I update my MS Live password to a more secure password.  Somebody else in the forum noted that special characters may not be accepted in some MS passwords... this was my case.  It would be nice to know exactly what is up with MS passswords.  I learned that maximum length is 16, but there is contradictory information of what special characters are Ok and not.  

Cheers and thanks for the interest.  The alert disappeared with the password fix.  

• Marked as answer by jerryyyyy Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:57 AM
  • ...] It would be nice to know exactly what is up with MS passswords [... 

You might read the Windows Live Help on creating a strong password.
    I quote:

---8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Create a strong password

A strong password is one that's difficult for others to determine by guessing or by using automated programs. A strong password is an important first step in protecting your personal information. A strong password:

• Contains seven to sixteen characters.
    • Uses three of the following four types of characters:
      • Uppercase letters (A, B, C).
      • Lowercase letters (a, b, c).
      • Numerals (1, 2, 3).
      • Special characters (` ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + - = { } | [ ] \ : " ; ' < > ? , . /) .
    • Isn't a common word or name, or a close variation on a common word or name.

Your password can't contain:

• Spaces or non-English characters.
    • The portion of your e-mail address before the @ symbol.
    • Your question or secret answer.

---8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:34 PM