How can I exclude a portable external HDD from backups RRS feed

• Question

• I occasionally hook an external HDD to my desktop computer.  It always comes up as the "L" drive when I do.    Every time I do that, the WHS connector icon in the system tray turns yellow and warns me that there's a new HDD and I need to configure backups.  I login, configure backups to exclude the "L" drive, the icon goes back to green and everything is fine.   It stays fine even when I remove the external HDD.  However, the next time I hook it up, the same thing happens all over again.   Is there some way to get it to remember that I don't want to back up the "L" drive?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:54 AM

All replies

• I occasionally hook an external HDD to my desktop computer.  It always comes up as the "L" drive when I do.    Every time I do that, the WHS connector icon in the system tray turns yellow and warns me that there's a new HDD and I need to configure backups.  I login, configure backups to exclude the "L" drive, the icon goes back to green and everything is fine.   It stays fine even when I remove the external HDD.  However, the next time I hook it up, the same thing happens all over again.   Is there some way to get it to remember that I don't want to back up the "L" drive?
    Unfortunately not.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Hi Jeibner,

Just ignore it - it won't add the drive to the backup by itself - but when you go to the backup wizard it will look like it has.  You can just click ignore issue in the Home Network Health window.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:26 AM