New to WHS, looking for storage organization suggestions (Zune, Live Mesh, etc) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a shiny new WHS box up and running and am trying to decide how best to organize and distribute my files between the new WHS and my existing desktop and (work) laptop. My situation can't be much different than what many others have run into, so I'm looking for advice.

Currently, my main desktop is my primary file repository and I use Live Mesh to sync the data structures that I need over to my laptop, and vice versa. I sync my entire Favorites and Pictures folders between the two PC's, as well as select folders within Documents and Videos.

I have a Zune Pass with tons of downloaded content but I don't sync it with Mesh; I simply D/L Zune Pass content from either the dektop or laptop, and then when I get back to the other machine I use the download history option in the Zune software to download anything that I may have downloaded to the previous machine. For example if I'm travelling I may download music to my laptop, and then when I get back home I'll go to the download history in the Zune client from my desktop and re-download those songs to my desktop (If I desire to). My Zune is configured to sync with my desktop and I frequently connect it to my laptop as a guest.

For the music that I own (ripped CD's), that content is on my main desktop and I don't sync it with Mesh either. Primarily because I didn't want to put the Music\Zune folder inside of a Mesh folder (Mesh doesn't allow you to exclude specific subfolders), and I never got around moving the Zune folder to a location outside of the Music folder that I could Mesh-enable the Music folder. So I would say that the way I manage my Music between PC's is manual with room for streamlining. I share out my Music folder on the desktop so that my wife can access my ripped CD's from her laptop.

I don't have my Pictures folder shared, even though many of the photos within my Pictures mesh are family oriented and my wife would probably like to have access to them. This is primarily my own fault; My pictures folder structure is a mess, with a combination of family photos and other miscellaneous pics that no one else in the family likely cares about.

I want WHS to be the single, primary repository for all of my data, both personal and shared, and I have the following goals:

1. Some data, such as pictures, Favorites, certain document folders, etc., need to be kept in sync with my laptop and accessible on my laptop while it is offline. This is probably not as big of an issue from my desktop, as it should pretty much always be online with WHS
    2. I need some of my photo folders shared and accessible by others in my family, and other pictures folders remain private. However, I'd like both sets of photos, whether public or private, kept in sync with my laptop
    3. I need my ripped CD collection kept in sync on both my desktop and laptop
    4. I'm really not sure what to do about Zune Pass content. Should I simply continue to manually download the music on both my desktop and laptop? I don't really need Zune Pass content backed up and especially don't need to be duplicated on WHS, since this content can be re-downloaded in the event of local data loss

I see Live Mesh continuing to play a part here, but not really sure how to do that without leaving WHS logged on so that the Mesh client can stay logged in.

Thoughts? I guess it boils down to wanting to store all of my data on WHS, while keeping some selected data synchronized on my laptop, and streamlining the storage/sharing of music and Zune Pass content between WHS, my desktop, and my laptop. And at some point in the future  I plan on adding a Media Center box and storing all of its data on WHS as well (and I REALLY wish that Media Center was available on top of WHS, but I see that's already been covered here so I'll leave it alone).

Jason
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• Jason Clishe said:

I have a shiny new WHS box up and running and am trying to decide how best to organize and distribute my files between the new WHS and my existing desktop and (work) laptop. My situation can't be much different than what many others have run into, so I'm looking for advice.

Currently, my main desktop is my primary file repository and I use Live Mesh to sync the data structures that I need over to my laptop, and vice versa. I sync my entire Favorites and Pictures folders between the two PC's, as well as select folders within Documents and Videos.

I have a Zune Pass with tons of downloaded content but I don't sync it with Mesh; I simply D/L Zune Pass content from either the dektop or laptop, and then when I get back to the other machine I use the download history option in the Zune software to download anything that I may have downloaded to the previous machine. For example if I'm travelling I may download music to my laptop, and then when I get back home I'll go to the download history in the Zune client from my desktop and re-download those songs to my desktop (If I desire to). My Zune is configured to sync with my desktop and I frequently connect it to my laptop as a guest.

For the music that I own (ripped CD's), that content is on my main desktop and I don't sync it with Mesh either. Primarily because I didn't want to put the Music\Zune folder inside of a Mesh folder (Mesh doesn't allow you to exclude specific subfolders), and I never got around moving the Zune folder to a location outside of the Music folder that I could Mesh-enable the Music folder. So I would say that the way I manage my Music between PC's is manual with room for streamlining. I share out my Music folder on the desktop so that my wife can access my ripped CD's from her laptop.

I don't have my Pictures folder shared, even though many of the photos within my Pictures mesh are family oriented and my wife would probably like to have access to them. This is primarily my own fault; My pictures folder structure is a mess, with a combination of family photos and other miscellaneous pics that no one else in the family likely cares about.

I want WHS to be the single, primary repository for all of my data, both personal and shared, and I have the following goals:

1. Some data, such as pictures, Favorites, certain document folders, etc., need to be kept in sync with my laptop and accessible on my laptop while it is offline. This is probably not as big of an issue from my desktop, as it should pretty much always be online with WHS

Offline Files should work for that.

Jason Clishe said:

2. I need some of my photo folders shared and accessible by others in my family, and other pictures folders remain private. However, I'd like both sets of photos, whether public or private, kept in sync with my laptop

In order to do that, you will need to create a second share for the private pictures, then assign permissions to both shares accordingly.  NOTE:  You can only use media streaming on the actual Photos share (not the second one you would need to create).

Jason Clishe said:

3. I need my ripped CD collection kept in sync on both my desktop and laptop

Again, Offline Files should work (although, to be honest, keeping 3 copies of each and every song is a little overkill IMO).  I would keep the music in the Music share on the server and (if really necessary) sync with only the laptop.  The desktop should always have access to the Music share anyways, so there should be no reason to keep a copy of it there as well.

Jason Clishe said:

4. I'm really not sure what to do about Zune Pass content. Should I simply continue to manually download the music on both my desktop and laptop? I don't really need Zune Pass content backed up and especially don't need to be duplicated on WHS, since this content can be re-downloaded in the event of local data loss

Since I've never used Zune, I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that downloading every file twice is a waste of time, bandwidth, and - as some ISPs are now charging extra for "internet power users" (people who go over a cap set by the ISP) - money.

Jason Clishe said:

I see Live Mesh continuing to play a part here, but not really sure how to do that without leaving WHS logged on so that the Mesh client can stay logged in.

Thoughts? I guess it boils down to wanting to store all of my data on WHS, while keeping some selected data synchronized on my laptop, and streamlining the storage/sharing of music and Zune Pass content between WHS, my desktop, and my laptop. And at some point in the future  I plan on adding a Media Center box and storing all of its data on WHS as well (and I REALLY wish that Media Center was available on top of WHS, but I see that's already been covered here so I'll leave it alone).

Jason

Friday, January 2, 2009 3:58 AM