none
SyncToy 2.1 Copying files that have already been synchronized

Question

• Background:
    We have been using SyncToy for a few months to replace normal Windows 7 offline files.  We have a folder pair with a mapped network drive P:\Individual synchronized to local My documents\offline files\Individual - this is a two-way sync.  Our remote users need to establish a VPN connection in order to connect to the P: drive.  Everyone has Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit and SyncToy 2.1 installed.  Folder pairs have settings to exclude hidden files and system files, and it is set to not save overwritten files in the recycle bin. 

Problem:
    For two of our remote users so far, who have been using SyncToy successfully for a few months, have both today seen their SyncToy unnecessarily copy ALL of their folder contents from the P: drive over to the local drive again, as if all the data changed.  There are entire folders with no changed data, and no folders/file paths have been renamed, so I'm not sure why the data is being re-copied from scratch.

This is an unacceptable problem as it takes a long time for remote users to synchronize the files at the start (updating files after the initial sync is not what I'm concerned with; that works well).  The fact that SyncToy is synchronizing all the files again from scratch is what worries me - it takes our remote users at least 3 hours to get all their data fully synchronized from scratch, rather than a quick 1-2 minute update when SyncToy is functioning like it should. 

Questions:
    What is causing SyncToy to synchronize all the files again from scratch?  How to I resolve this issue?

Any suggestions would be very helpful!  Let me know if you need more information. 
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:30 PM