Do I Really Need the Connector??? RRS feed

• Question

• Presently I have an NT Domain with one PDC.  I use the domain mainly for added network secruity.  The network includes a Symantec Gateway Security device, 2 Lotus Notes servers (XP Pro), 3 XP Pro user computers, and 2 Vista Ultimate user computers.

All of the XP computers are members of the NT domain, but the VU computers are joined by a workgroup with the same name as the domain.  The main reason for buying WHS was to get rid of the NT server and be able to log in to a domain without having to authenticate when connecting to each PC and to stream media (photos, videos, and music) throughout the house.

I have yet to successfully install the connector on the VU computers.  But, the WHS computer shows in "My Network" in Win Explorer and I can CRUD files on it.

That gave me an idea.  On the WHS computer I started "System" in the Control Panel.  Then I changed the domain from the "WORKGROUP" workgroup and joined my NT domain.  It worked, the WHS is now part of my domain.  Next I did the same for the VU computer and it was able to join the domain.  Have I done anything wrong?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:56 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can change the name of the workgroup if you like. There's no need; Windows Home Server doesn't care what workgroup it's part of. And no, you don't need to move workstations out of the domain.

As for documentation, take a look at the WHS Support page.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, November 10, 2008 6:01 PM more info.
    • Marked as answer by dtiChuck Monday, November 10, 2008 6:33 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• dtiChuck said:

Presently I have an NT Domain with one PDC.  I use the domain mainly for added network secruity.  The network includes a Symantec Gateway Security device, 2 Lotus Notes servers (XP Pro), 3 XP Pro user computers, and 2 Vista Ultimate user computers.

All of the XP computers are members of the NT domain, but the VU computers are joined by a workgroup with the same name as the domain.  The main reason for buying WHS was to get rid of the NT server and be able to log in to a domain without having to authenticate when connecting to each PC and to stream media (photos, videos, and music) throughout the house.

I have yet to successfully install the connector on the VU computers.  But, the WHS computer shows in "My Network" in Win Explorer and I can CRUD files on it.

That gave me an idea.  On the WHS computer I started "System" in the Control Panel.  Then I changed the domain from the "WORKGROUP" workgroup and joined my NT domain.  It worked, the WHS is now part of my domain.  Next I did the same for the VU computer and it was able to join the domain.  Have I done anything wrong?

Yes.  WHS cannot be part of a domain.  You can expect it to start acting very strangely (most notably is it will constantly reboot, every 2 hours as I recall).  Not to mention, adding it to a domain is a violation of the EULA.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hello,
    running Windows Home Server as Domain controller or join it to a domain is not allowed according to the EULA.
    Using it in a workgroup environment or as a standalone machine besides a domain is fine.

The connector software is only necessary, if you wish to use Windows Home Server to backup the clients or run the console directly from the client PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Thanks for the reply and the EULA advice -- I really didn't read that stuff :-}.  Since I posted my message, I have been getting domain connectivity issues.  I am reinstalling WHS and I am not going to use domains.  I really want to get rid of the NT Server and save some electricity.  I guess I was overcomplicating something that is meant to be simple.  Probably because there is no documentation and with my limited amount of server admin experience, I associate "server" with "domain". 

Having workgroups is fine but 1) can I change the name of the WHS workgroup and 2) do I need to change the workstations from belonging to a domain to the WHS workgroup?  I also assume that I need to shut down the NT Server before the installation.  I see value with the connector because the servers are in a rack in another room and I will give it a try after reinstalling WHS.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Yes, you can change the name of the workgroup if you like. There's no need; Windows Home Server doesn't care what workgroup it's part of. And no, you don't need to move workstations out of the domain.

As for documentation, take a look at the WHS Support page.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, November 10, 2008 6:01 PM more info.
    • Marked as answer by dtiChuck Monday, November 10, 2008 6:33 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:00 PM