OneCare Firewall blocks internet access after Vista upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently performed a Vista upgrade.  I uninstalled OneCare and reinstalled after the upgrade.  Now I find that with Windows Firewall off and OneCare Firewall on, internet access is blocked event though IE is listed as an "allowed" program.  The only way I can get access is to turn OneCare firewall off and Windows Firewall on, but then OneCare is always red and harrassing me.  Given that multiple users have accounts on the machine, they are all pinging me because they see the OneCare message, so I'd really rather use the OneCare Firewall.  I've seen some posts on this problem but not a definitive solution.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support for this problem, as clearly it should not be happening.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Was support able to help you with this? I've got the same issue and was wondering if it was a quick fix for you.

I'd rather not go thru the pain of having to work with a support tech if I could get this issue fixed for me as well based of whatever info they gave you!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:01 PM
  • There are two common reasons for this -

1. Dynamic Disk Partition - which should no longer be an issue since OneCare 2.0 will *not* install if it detects that you are using Dynamic Disks.

2. A conflict with other security software installed on the PC.

There was one other post I recall where someone reported that their router firmware needed to be updated before they had access with the OneCare firewall on - I seem to remember the issue was that the router wasn't giving an IP address to the PC with the firewall enabled.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:13 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

There are two common reasons for this -

1. Dynamic Disk Partition - which should no longer be an issue since OneCare 2.0 will *not* install if it detects that you are using Dynamic Disks.

2. A conflict with other security software installed on the PC.

There was one other post I recall where someone reported that their router firmware needed to be updated before they had access with the OneCare firewall on - I seem to remember the issue was that the router wasn't giving an IP address to the PC with the firewall enabled.

-steve

I have this same problem and have tried to turn off Windows Firewall to avoid conflict with Live OneCare firewall to no avail.

I believe the real problem is conflict with my router as described above. The BIG Problem is I have a DISCONTINUED Microsoft Router Model MN-700 and they no longer support or update its software control program. Once again Microsft abandoning a longtime loyal customer! So, do I have to buy another router for over $100. to enable MS's lousy OneCare 2.0 Upgrade?? (And my recent VISTA Upgrade)

What are these geniuses thinking in Redmond?

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Well, the Windows Firewall should have been turned off by OneCare at install. If it is on, you've got a problem.

You really should contact support to determine what the problem is before assuming it is the router.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I was having this same problem, but then I tried to download the "Firewall Repair Tool OneCare 2.0 " as seen in the announcement posts at the top of this firewall forum.  It seems to have fixed the problem for me so far. 

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:55 AM
  •  

Thanks to all. I used the firewall repair  tool and it worked Great!
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:51 PM
  •  Maearl wrote:

I was having this same problem, but then I tried to download the "Firewall Repair Tool OneCare 2.0 " as seen in the announcement posts at the top of this firewall forum.  It seems to have fixed the problem for me so far. 

Thanks so much for reporting your success with the tool.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:31 AM