Microsoft Money Sunset Crash RRS feed

• Question

• As of 12/15/12, everytime I download and import my financial data, money will crash on me.  I told the error reporting program to report the error so there should be some record of it.  I am running XP.  Is anyone else having this problem and is there a fix?
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am having the same problem W/XP, Sunset version, downloading and just entering a transaction, gets so bad I cannot open my file at all. I tried re-installing ,going back to some of my older backups. Still happens, I have tried making the Money file smaller, did not help. All just started about the 13th or 15th of December 20122.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Originally I posted "I would uninstall update KB2758857. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/ca2c6a66-c16a-4ef4-9c76-a8d73438a172 for discussions."

I now think that using the patched mnyob99.dll file that has been discussed on  some various threads, including http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/ca2c6a66-c16a-4ef4-9c76-a8d73438a172 , is the better way. That allows the update to remain installed, and will probably prevent some future crashes.

• Marked as answer by DiversDream Monday, December 17, 2012 5:24 PM
    • Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:44 AM Switched to alternate cure.
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Ever think of doing your input data MANUALLY? I've been doing it that way since I started with Money in 1995. Steve
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:36 PM
  • On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:29:13 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

Interesting.  That update was installed on my machine on 12/12 (W7 Pro x64; Money Sunset), and I've not had any issues with Money crashing.  Maybe it depends on the OS also?

Ron
    Monday, December 17, 2012 1:36 AM
    Interesting.  That update was installed on my machine on 12/12 (W7 Pro x64; Money Sunset), and I've not had any issues with Money crashing.  Maybe it depends on the OS also?

Ron

It does. The nice write-up about the patched dll says an unrelated spot in memory was used as a pointer passed to a display procedure. That pointer usually pointed to something that did not cause a crash, but with XP SP3 with the update installed, that pointer pointed to something that did cause a Money crash. That write-up made interesting reading for me.
    Monday, December 17, 2012 4:59 PM
  • I uninstalled the update and all is good again.  I hate not having an important security update though.  Is Microsoft working a patch so this update can be installed and Money will still function?
    Monday, December 17, 2012 5:23 PM

Ron

It does. The nice write-up about the patched dll says an unrelated spot in memory was used as a pointer passed to a display procedure. That pointer usually pointed to something that did not cause a crash, but with XP SP3 with the update installed, that pointer pointed to something that did cause a Money crash. That write-up made interesting reading for me.
    Is that the same writeup that wrote about a patch for the Windows 8 crashing issue that has also been reported?  If so, I did not read it that closely as I don't have W8.  But I did bookmark it just in case.

Ron

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Is that the same writeup that wrote about a patch for the Windows 8 crashing issue that has also been reported?  If so, I did not read it that closely as I don't have W8.  But I did bookmark it just in case.

It is. I guess that makes the point that the mnyob99.dll flaw could manifest itself with future seemingly unrelated OS changes. So as I see it, the Windows 8 folks got blamed for breaking something... and they came up with an apparent fix. But the bug was not actually their code, but they still came up with a workaround-- or did they make some unrelated change that just happened to cause the Money crash to not occur?
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I guess that makes the point that the mnyob99.dll flaw could manifest itself with future seemingly unrelated OS changes. So as I see it, the Windows 8 folks got blamed for breaking something... and they came up with an apparent fix. But the bug was not actually their code, but they still came up with a workaround-- or did they make some unrelated change that just happened to cause the Money crash to not occur?
    Hopefully, the change they recommended will prevent all future crashes.  But who knows?

Ron

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:30 AM
  • I noted the same problem with my Money Sunset Edition on my windows XP PC. I'll go try this workaround when I get home, hope this works. Have too much data on this awesome financial software, still traumatized by the fact they discontinued the product.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Thanks Cal for your post.  Two weeks ago I installed a new PC w/Windows 8 and could have sworn I had run an import since.  When Money started to bomb on me yesterday I had started to think the sun had indeed finally set on my long relationship with this great little program.  But I figured I'd try a search and voila, here I find your answer.  Replacing mnyob99.dll with the patched version was the answer.

Schyler Jones (schyler.jones@sdjcs.com) SDJ Computer Solutions (603) 494-4934

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Removal of the KB2758857 update did resolve the problem for me two weeks back. I have disabled the microsoft automatic updates since then. But today, when downloading my credit card transactions, the crash happened again, and continues to crash everytime I restart money. Has anybody else seen this problem come back.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Looks like the microsoft automatic update had reinstalled the KB2758857 patch before I had disabled the automatic update, so it was essentially the same problem as before.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 4:44 AM
  • The easiest solution in my mind is to apply the patched mnyob99.dll, and then the issue should be permanently solved, even with the security update installed. That's what I've done.

Schyler Jones (schyler.jones@sdjcs.com) SDJ Computer Solutions (603) 494-4934

Friday, January 4, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for the solutions, folks. The way I first discovered this problem was when I tried adding a new payee after Dec 12, but it affected my downloaded statements, too. I was afraid that my files were corrupted and that I'd have to start all over again manually. However, the patched dll file worked fine for me (on XP SP3) and I'm off and running with no worries again.
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:45 PM
  • I was afraid that my files were corrupted and that I'd have to start all over again manually
    Make backups.  Regularly. 
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 11:39 AM
  • On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:37:57 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

>It is. I guess that makes the point that the mnyob99.dll flaw could manifest itself with future seemingly unrelated OS changes. So as I see it, the Windows 8 folks got blamed for breaking something... and they came up with an apparent fix. But the bug was not actually their code, but they still came up with a workaround-- or did they make some unrelated change that just happened to cause the Money crash to not occur?

I had an error occur yesterday that prompted me to install the patch. I have no idea if the error was related to the patch not be installed, but, given the increased reports of problems, it seemed prudent.  I had downloaded an .ofx file from my bank, and, instead matching the payee to an existing payee, it created a new payee with an IDENTICAL name.  I'd never seen that happen before.  And the problem has not recurred.

Ron
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:55 PM
  • A new Money Sunset bug that is not fixed by Raymond Chen’s uninitialized string patch has been discovered and identified. It involves crashing both via the Import Files queue (when an OFX file is launched by an external process) and during Money Sunset File Import. When one or more OFX files from certain institutions and accounts are in the Import Files queue, Money will launch but then crash, regardless of what backup or other version of a Money file has been restored and is being opened.

Workarounds and remediation have been documented, and are being made available to all users without charge at the PalOMoney.com web site. Progress on the issue is ongoing. See https://www.palomoney.com/wiki/index.php/Money_Sunset_Import_Bug_Remediation.

There may be more bugs to find and fix. The above topic should include links to those bugs as they are being addressed.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:12 PM
  • I downloaded the patch from Palomoney. It was unable to find the file mnyob99.dll Is there anything else I can do?

Sunset on XP Money closes shortly after being opened. Appears to have occurred after downloading data from bank

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I assume that you are trying to apply the patch described  in the second "sticky" in this forum, - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b 

If you cannot see the mnyob99.dll file on your system, you may need to change the view in Windows Explorer to make it visible.  To do this in Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options and in the "View" tab:

- check "Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives"

- uncheck "Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)"

- uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now, to make the replacement:

- Open Windows Explorer and find the downloaded mnyob99.dll file

- Right-click on it, and select "Copy"

- still using Windows Explorer, locate the folder on your system named Microsoft Money Plus.  It is usually in the C:/Program Files folder.

- In that folder you will see a folder named MNYCore Files.   Open it and find the existing mnyob99.dll file.  Rename it oldmnyob99.dll or something similar.

- Right click and select "Paste" to copy the mnyob99.dll file into the MNYCore Files folder.

Open MSMoney and verify that it is now working.  If you like, you can change the Window Explorer settings back to the default values.

Let us know if this works or if you run into a problem.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Just to add: definitely recheck Hide protected operating system files(Recommended) after completing the task.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for your help but Windows Explore could not find the file!
    Friday, April 19, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for your help but Windows Explore could not find the file!

Copy the following line, and paste it into the address box at the top of Windows Explorer:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles

You should then be able to see mnyob99.dll .

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:30 PM
  • If you have tried the suggestions above without success, you may have installed Money to a folder other than the default paths mentioned in the postings here. 

The PalOMoney patch utility (called "PatchOMoney.exe") finds the file for you using your installation data. However, because the utility more or less demands that you back up your file yourself before proceeding, you really should locate the file and copy it.  

Run the utility, answer yes to "...did you backup..." question, note or copy the file location, then enter or paste the path into an Explorer window. This works even if the folder is hidden.

Alternatively, if you are willing to patch your file without backing it up (not recommended), you could throw caution to the winds and just go ahead and run the utility.

You can register for support with the PalOMoney forums.

• Edited by POM Developer Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:10 AM corrected directions
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:34 PM
  • It can't even find Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus never mind the rest even though Money Plus is there and can be opened albeit temporarily.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:31 PM
  • In Windows XP, click on "Start" and then on "My Computer".  This should open a window that lists the drives on your computer.  Double-click on the drive  (probably C;)  that is under the heading "Hard Disk Drives".  Do you see a  "Program Files" folder?  If you double-click the Program Files folder do you see the "Microsoft Money Plus" folder?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:45 PM
  • It can't even find Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus never mind the rest even though Money Plus is there and can be opened albeit temporarily.

Are you willing to try using a command window? It is much easier for me to describe what to do in that case.
    I see Bill Becker did a fine job describing the other way, and that may be easier for you. Click Start, and into the run box enter

cmd

Having entered the three letters, press the Enter key. Press Enter after you type each of the following commands into the command window that opens, type these lines. Observe what happens.

c:
    cd \pr*
    cd mi*us
    cd *s

If things work as I expect, you should see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus> shown. If things do not work that way, what happened that was unexpected?

dir mnyob*.dll

OK. Now you can see the file.  From there to give you the next steps, I have to know where the patched copy of mnyob99.dll is going to be. It could be on a flash drive, for example. I would need you to post back the drive letter of that drive, such as f: or whatever it is.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:47 PM
  • No there is no Money folder in program Files
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:32 PM
  • cd\pr*

Program Files cd mi*us

The filename, directory name or volume label is incorrect

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:39 PM
  • No there is no Money folder in program Files

OK. It is installed in a non-default location. That's OK. I appologize for making some incorrect presumptions.

What I suggest you do next is to do a search for  mnyob99.dll on all of the hard drives of your computer.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308895 will help using the Windows XP included search.

If that does not work for you for some reason, I suggest you install Agent Ransack. I understand that is a strange name, but it is a nice search.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Perhaps you are running 64 bit windows. On my 64 bit machine, this is what the patch utility displays:

File Version info: 17.0.0.3817 for
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\mnyob99.dll

Note that the 32 bit programs are installed into "c:\program files (x86)\" and not "c:\program files\"

You can try copying the path above into the run dialog and see if you can open the folder.
    • Edited by POM Developer Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:08 AM add conclusion
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:05 AM
  • I found the file after installing Agent Ransack. Thanks for that- it found it immediately.

The file is in D:\Program Files\ Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\mnyob99.dll

Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:10 PM
  • What do I do now to repair the program?

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Follow the directions in previous posts.  For example, see my reply of Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:41 PM. and be sure to note the subsequent recommendation from bobjbkin about re-hiding Protected System Operating Files.

If you have difficulties, post back with exactly what you did and what happened.

Bill Becker

Monday, May 6, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Got as far as ready to paste the new mnyob99.dll into core file but message "cannot read from the source file or disc"
    Monday, May 6, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Do you get that message when you right click on the downloaded file and select "Copy" or does it come up when you try to paste the downloaded file?

Were you able to rename the existing mnyob99.dll file in the MNYCoreFiles folder?

In any case, can you confirm that you are logged on as an administrator?

Bill Becker

Monday, May 6, 2013 3:30 PM
  • It was when I tried to paste the file. All seemed well prior to that.

I was able to rename the file.

I was signed on as an administrator.

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Hmmmm -where is the downloaded file saved?  Can you copy it and paste it to another folder, - for example "My Documents"?  Did you try "drag and drop" it to the MNYCore Files folder?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Pasted file into My Docs then into program files which worked fine. Opened Money and same problem occurred. Downloaded Money Plus again but problem persists.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Did you really paste the downloaded mnyob99.dll file into the "program files" folder?  You should have pasted it into the  MNYCore Files folder.

You say that you downloaded Money Plus again.  Did you install it?  If so, it would have overwritten the downloaded mnyob99.dll.

I am sure that you are becoming weary of all this but I suggest going back to square one:

- uninstall Money Plus using add/remove programs

- download and install Money Plus using the link in the first post in this forum

- rename the mnyob99.dll in MNYCoreFiles to mnyob99.dll.old

- go to http://www.mediafire.com/?zj0amk06ax57cfg and click on the green rectangle that says "Download (9.09 MB)"

- save the downloaded mnyob99.dll in My Documents or another location that you can find.

- copy the downloaded mny99ob.dll and paste it into the MNYCore Files folder

If anything unexpected happens while doing this, let us know

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:25 PM
  • You said you pasted it into "program files" but your earlier post said your mnyob99.dll file was "D:\Program Files\ Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\mnyob99.dll" [sic].

It is important that you paste the file into the right location, namely, the current 'MNYCoreFiles' folder. When pasting the file, Windows will display a message asking you whether to overwrite the file or not. If you did not get that message, you likely pasted the file into the wrong location. Also, if you did reinstall Money Plus, then perhaps the location of the files has changed from your previous message.

Please find 'mnyob99.dll' in 'MNYCoreFiles', paste over it again, and chose to "overwrite" or "copy and replace" the file.

-- More --

It is possible that the Money is crashing because of *another* bug that was recently discovered, and that fixing the first bug, while worthwhile and necessary, will not prevent the crash in your case. If this is the case, you will need the free "PatchOMoney" patch utility to patch both bugs in your mnyob99.dll. See "https://www.PalOMoney.com/wiki/index.php/Money_Sunset_Patch_Utility". The download link is at the end of the wiki page. The utility will handle all the issues mentioned in this forum for you. If you still have problems after using the utility, you can register and get support on the PalOMoney forums.

You can also run the program without patching your file, and it will display the installed location of your mnyob99.dll, and its patch status. If you do use PatchOMoney to patch your file, it makes its own backup, so that if you have the installation file, you don't need to back up the installation. It also supports reverting each patch back to the original code.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:48 PM