Can I hot-swap sata drive in caddy? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, first post, and yes, I've searched extensively here and on internet, and can't find the answer to what I hope is a simple question:

I have a 2 TB sata drive in a generic drive caddy which I am using for my server backups.  I want to rotate it daily with a second, identical drive for the added security of offsite storage.

Do I have to power down the server before doing the swap?  Of course I'd prefer to do a "hot-swap" but can't find an option on the Dashboard to 'safely remove' the hard drive.  I realize I can't just eject the drive from the caddy while it's still spinning!

Thanks in advance for any clues.  If you monitor multiple WHS forums than you will probably see this same query posted again; I'm not dissing anybody, just hoping for a quick response.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

• If you have it connected to a standard SATA port configured for IDE emulation then yes you will need to shutdown before removing it. If your SATA port is configured as AHCI then you will be able to do a hot swap.

You may find this interesting AHCI v IDE

John

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, June 25, 2012 7:29 AM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:30 PM
  • For myself I “Remote Desktop” to the server which brings up the desktop.
    From there I can “Safely Remove Hardware”, the drive, bottom/right, just as
    if I was on the computer.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:13 PM

All replies

• If you have it connected to a standard SATA port configured for IDE emulation then yes you will need to shutdown before removing it. If your SATA port is configured as AHCI then you will be able to do a hot swap.

You may find this interesting AHCI v IDE

John

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:23 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:30 PM
  • For myself I “Remote Desktop” to the server which brings up the desktop.
    From there I can “Safely Remove Hardware”, the drive, bottom/right, just as
    if I was on the computer.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Thank you, DonCarlson, it looks like that's what I was missing; I hadn't set up my Remote Desktop access yet.
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:05 PM