WHS Backup Keeps Failing with Chkdsk message RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server keeps failing at 53% completion with a message to run Chkdsk/f/r. When I run chkdsk, I get no errors. Is there anything else I can try to get my backup going again? Where can I see more messages as to the location or files on disk it is trying to backup? Is there anyway to skip this error and continue with the backups? I would prefer it backup most of my files rather than no of them. My operating system is Vista Sp1. I have 3 other PCs running Windows XP tht have no problem with WHS backups.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    please check the event log of your client PC.
    Sometimes programs like Norton Ghost leave remains in the registry.
    May be you will find a GUID (these long numbers enclosed in {} brackets) in relation with a VSS failure in the event log.
    Run regedit, search this guid and note the referenced file name.
    If it refers to an installed program, try to uninstall it. If it was already uninstalled or backup still fails after completed uninstall and reboot, you could search and delete all references to this GUID and the file name, which you can find in the registry (if you are not sure, export the keys first before deleting).
    If keys are solely for the troublesome application or it's components, delete the key, otherwise the value.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:41 PM