Running internet file downloads in background with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started looking into setting up WHS here with my home network (~5 PC's,all ages). I have searched this forum and failed to find an answer to this question...

One PC which is fairly current, 4G Memory, Pentium Core Duo etc. is set aside just to download video (*.AVI) movie files from various Internet sites. A common use these days.

Anyway my question is:-

Could I wipe the disks, install WHS and use it as advertised to backup my other PC's etc AND at the same time use Internet Explorer on its desktop to locate torrent files and then use something like BitComet to download them in a background mode. Of course i would leave the mouse and keyboard connected.

This would really make WHS attractive since torrent downloads typically take hours to download and use very little disk space and processor time. Would be really economically efficient for me.

Can it be done, can it be done easily? What are the downsides?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:12 PM

Answers

• What you're proposing is an unsupported use of Windows Home Server. It's likely that you could do what you want, however. Take a look at this thread for example.

The main downside is that, because it's an unsupported use, Microsoft is not going to spend time on problems that people may have with WHS in that environment. In addition, they will make no guarantee that it will work, or that it won't corrupt all your files over time. So you're taking a risk.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:04 PM

All replies

• What you're proposing is an unsupported use of Windows Home Server. It's likely that you could do what you want, however. Take a look at this thread for example.

The main downside is that, because it's an unsupported use, Microsoft is not going to spend time on problems that people may have with WHS in that environment. In addition, they will make no guarantee that it will work, or that it won't corrupt all your files over time. So you're taking a risk.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Thanks that was most helpful. Did not realize so much work has already been done!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:24 PM