Outlook and Teams Security in CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi – We are using CRM 2011 on-premise with Outlook 2010.

Wondering if anybody has come across this issue:

-          Created a custom entity – “Shared Projects”.

-          Created a role, “Shared Project Contributors”, and gave it full Create/Read/Write/Delete/Append/AppendTo  rights to the “Shared Projects” entity.

-          Created a team - “Shared Services”.

-          Added the “Shared Project Contributors” role  to the “Shared Services” team.

-        Added users to the “Shared Services” team. These users are not assigned the “Shared Project Contributors” role directly; they inherit it from the “Shared Services” team.

-        Users in the “Shared Services” team can access the “Shared Projects” entity normally from the CRM UI. No issues with any CRUD operations.

-        These same users, however, cannot access the “Shared Projects” entity from Outlook as we expected. Only when I assign these users the “Shared Project Contributors” role directly can they then access the “Shared Projects” entity from Outlook.

Are we missing something obvious here? It seems as though the Outlook Plugin does not respect Teams security.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:03 AM

Answers

• To All,

I submitted a ticket with MS CRM support and they were able to recreate the issue on their side. They said the issue will be fixed in UR14. Below is the text I was emailed by the help desk operator assigned to the case:

"As discussed today over the call, I just wanted to provide you some details regarding the case. We tried to reproduce the issue in our test environment and were able to receive the same result. I then engaged additional resources to find further on this. This is recently discovered issue and will be resolved in the next update roll up i.e., Update Roll up 14. "

I wonder how many implementations this is affecting without anyone in the enterprise even realizing it!

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Its out of box behavior of CRM and should work fine in outlook as well.  Just apply latest CRM update roll up and check again. If its offline outlook then just make sure “Shared Project Contributors” role available in offline. 
    If still you face the issue then raise a support ticket with Microsoft. 

Chandan - http://mscrm-chandan.blogspot.in/ I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful !!!

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:23 AM
  • To All,

I submitted a ticket with MS CRM support and they were able to recreate the issue on their side. They said the issue will be fixed in UR14. Below is the text I was emailed by the help desk operator assigned to the case:

"As discussed today over the call, I just wanted to provide you some details regarding the case. We tried to reproduce the issue in our test environment and were able to receive the same result. I then engaged additional resources to find further on this. This is recently discovered issue and will be resolved in the next update roll up i.e., Update Roll up 14. "

I wonder how many implementations this is affecting without anyone in the enterprise even realizing it!

• Chandan, thanks for your helpful reply.