SyncToy.exe - fatal error RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using SyncToy 2.0 (x86) for a couple of months (on my company supplied laptop) and it is excellent.
    Due to random rebooting issues with this computer which were due to the hard disc, a new hard disc was fitted and rebuilt with XP Pro SP2.
    I had to reinstall SyncToy which was successfull, however when I try to run it I get the error below.

SyncToy.exe - fatal error
    CLR error 80004005
    The prgram will now terminate

Reading some of the questions raised by others I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a number of times into the same directory (C:\program files) but also into other directories (eg. D:) with no success.

Reading some of the other questions raised by others I checked and I do have the following installed:
    microsoft.NET Framework 1.1
    microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix(KB928366)
    microsoft.NET Framework 2.0
    I dont know what this really means though.

It is a great package that I really want to get running again and I know others in my office have it running just like I previously did.
    Unfortunately our corporate IT department controls s/w version control on our computers globally but I do have local admin rights to load printer drivers etc.. 
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi -

Also look for Microsoft Sync Framework V 1.0 and Microsoft Sync Framework Services V1.0 in Add/Remove Programs. If you find this, uninstall it and then manually run SyncToy 2.0 install again. This might help the issue.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    • Proposed as answer by Adrian Mustea - MSFT Monday, October 26, 2009 10:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by anjopa69 Friday, October 30, 2009 8:24 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Deepa,

Thanks for your response.
    In Add/Remove programs I found:
    "microsoft sync framework runtime v1.0 (x86)" and "microsoft sync framework services v1.0 (x86)"
    I uninstalled SyncToy then both of these. When I went to re-installSyncToy it re-installed both of these then SyncToy. When I went to run SyncToy (after being told installationw as successful) it came up with the same error.

during uninstall of "microsoft sync framework runtime v1.0 (x86)" it did suggest that other microsoft sync applications were depenant on it and should be uninstalled first. I didn't do this as wasn't sure if it would reinstall these also ?

Andrew
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:23 AM
  • hi anjopa69,

I am facing the same ordeal as u right now.
    I've been spending hours trying to find a solution but luck has been low.
    have u found a solution to it yet?

am on win 7 pro

and my installed dotnet are

->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

< Installed .NET Frameworks >
    .NET FW 1.1 SP 1
    .NET FW 2.0 SP 2
    .NET FW 3.0
    .NET FW 3.5 SP 1

I've also post my error log in the dotnet forum. no replies yet.
    heres the link to it.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/ceb6dfb2-4702-4181-8f2e-9ce5cfb89f76

regards

Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:03 AM
  • no one able to offer any form of help?
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Hi terencet,

I have had no feedback either.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:05 AM
  • i gave up trying to figure or wait for an answer here..
    did a reinstall of the whole system.

think its more likely of a corrupted dotnet framework
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Hi Anjopa,

If the issue still exists, I would strongly recommend you to try out SyncToy2.1, which provides better performance and improved robustness.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52

BTW, please make sure Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 is installed before install SyncToy2.1.

Thanks,
    Nina
    • Marked as answer by Nina H Monday, November 30, 2009 10:54 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:46 AM