GGOK Windows 7 professional re-install RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had to purchase from Microsoft the Get Genuine Online Kit in January 2011 of Windows 7 Professional (the one I had previously purchased via eBay appeared to be not genuine).

It has been working fine with no problems, however the software text on the box of CD's states it is ‘to replace non-genuine software on the PC that failed online windows validation’, I may need to change the faulty motherboard and processor and re-install Windows once I have done this. How does this software identify it’s the same computer? Will this cause any problems when I format my hard drive and re-install this Windows 7 GGOK or do I have to install the non-genuine windows 7 first and then this kit?

I don’t want to transfer or reassign to anybody else but concerned that the kit may recognise the new motherboard and processor as a new PC and fail to install.

If I can keep my current motherboard, it is safe for me to format my hard drive and re-install on this machine, it will still be used by me.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:05 PM

Answers

• The WGA Kit you received includes a retail Windows 7 license.  Therefore, you can replace your motherboard and reactivate.  If internet activation is not successful, then select the option to "activate by phone".

Carey Frisch

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:08 PM
  •     You can reactivate your Windows 7 installation (by phone) performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 3 and click on the icon that appears.

2. Type in your genuine Windows 7 Professional 25-character product key.

3. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by FredJan Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:34 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:32 PM

All replies

• The WGA Kit you received includes a retail Windows 7 license.  Therefore, you can replace your motherboard and reactivate.  If internet activation is not successful, then select the option to "activate by phone".

Carey Frisch

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Thanks Carey, I was reluctant to try changing the motherboard and re-installing Winows 7 without knowing if I could do it or not. If I cannot activate by internet then I assume I am given a phone number to ring?

Fred

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:25 PM
  •     You can reactivate your Windows 7 installation (by phone) performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 3 and click on the icon that appears.

2. Type in your genuine Windows 7 Professional 25-character product key.

3. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by FredJan Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:34 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:32 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:dda145b0-22ef-4aaa-ae0a-390bd8603df8...
    The WGA Kit you received includes a retail Windows 7 license.  Therefore, you can replace your motherboard and reactivate.  If internet activation is not successful, then select the option to "activate by phone".

Carey Frisch

NOT correct, Carey
    The GGOK also has a secondary SLT which restricts it to the original computer.
    If one takes MS's 'normal' interpretation of this, then upgrading the motherboard will require a new license.

So far, this is untested, so far as I am aware.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Thanks Noel,

I am not sure what an SLT is, but reading your answer it sounds like I can change anything apart from the motherboard which is used by MS to signify the computers main component and hence the 'computer'.

I have some PC issues which may be RAM, motherboard or processor, so I will try changing the RAM and processor in the first instance, if all fails then the motherboard but I will be aware that I might have to buy a new license.

I was not aware of this when I bought the GGOK, I thought I was buying a genuine full license from MS and it was slightly cheaper as I had already been conned into buying (and using for 2 years) a non-genuine Windows 7 Professional operating system.

I wont fall into that trap again, I think MS should have explained it to me better.

Thanks for everyones help, I did try and look for what MS call a 'computer' but could not find where they state the motherboard is the main component their software considers to be the 'PC'.

Fred

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:46 AM
  • SLT - Software License Terms.

The secondary SLT I referred to should have been either on the outside of the package that the disks came in, or in the confirmatory email you got from MS (depending on how you received the software)

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Thanks Noel,

I found this text (below image) on the inside of the DVD box, it mentions the SLT but nothing about if I want to reformat and reinstall on same PC or about what it considers to be another computer?

It looks like the RAM was faulty on my PC, I am thinking of re-installing this Windows 7 software once I am happy its just the RAM, it sounds as though I can re-install as I have not replaced the motherboard.

Thanks for all your help.

Fred

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Thanks for posting the secondary SLT! - I've not had a chance to read it properly before.

Yes - if the RAM is the only replacement, you should have no problems reinstalling the OS as it stands, although you *may* have to activate by phone.

The warning comes in the highlighted section - MS currently usually defines a 'computer' for the porposes of licensing as being the motherboard, so if the motherboard does need replacing you may have to do some fast talking with an activation operator (and cross fingers, etc.!)

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:07 AM