Live Mesh Outage? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to log-in to Live Mesh using IE8 but I'm getting a constant loop of "Error: This service isn't available right now. Please try again later." on the devices page. Is there an outage or something? I've already tried resetting the IE8 options but I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:17 PM

Answers

• Aeris, it sounds like you hit a rare but fun bug with @live.com cookies.  They get stuck in a stale state but the date/time stamp on them is so far in the future they never get deleted, so that account keeps getting stuck in the TOU loop of doom.

If you go into IE, Tools, Internet Options, Click on Settings for Browsing History.  Then click View Files.  If it's a LOT.  Sort by file type and go down to (Text) you'll see Cookie: Name@live.com  and Name@msn.com  cookies there.  Delete them both.  It should fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any outage right now. I assume that you are already a Live Mesh user? Are you trying to sign in at www.mesh.com for your Live Desktop?

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I signed up for Live Mesh around first week of December 2009. I got around to accepting the ToS but was unable to add any devices due to the issues at the time. Now, I'm logging in to Live Mesh to add devices but it seems as if I'm getting the same "Error: This service isn't available right now. Please try again later." loop I was getting back then. I've already tried logging on from 2 desktops (both fresh Win7 install) and a Win7 laptop (the one I originally used to sign up for Live Mesh) but I just receive the same error on all of them.

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Okay, I just tried using another Windows Live ID and that one worked fine. However, the ID I was originally trying to use still refuses to work. Any ideas why? I think it may be related to the reported ToS loop problem from http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/731d78b4-c519-49eb-8e9d-5d87082ffdd7 but I've already tried the recommended fixes and none of them seem to be working.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:25 AM
  • I wonder if your LiveID is in some odd state on the Live Mesh servers due to the issues encountered when you tried signing up last month.

Could you submit a bug report on this (obviously, logs aren't needed, but your LiveID would be helpful as well as the information that a different LiveID works fine) - 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Aeris, it sounds like you hit a rare but fun bug with @live.com cookies.  They get stuck in a stale state but the date/time stamp on them is so far in the future they never get deleted, so that account keeps getting stuck in the TOU loop of doom.

If you go into IE, Tools, Internet Options, Click on Settings for Browsing History.  Then click View Files.  If it's a LOT.  Sort by file type and go down to (Text) you'll see Cookie: Name@live.com  and Name@msn.com  cookies there.  Delete them both.  It should fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hello, I am getting the following error message:

Error

The Live Mesh service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.
    (Code: 08f39c73-a5f2, 2/26/2010 12:13 AM UTC, BL1WLC2040315 )

This is only happening with Firefox, IE seem to work fine... I tried all possible browser cleanup option, with no success. Any ideas what to do next?
    Also another question, files seem to sync after a few hours. Is there anyway to force a sync?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Is this problem still happening for you, gamark?
    No, there is no way to force a sync.
    -steve
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:43 PM