Where has it gone? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new laptop loaded with microsoft software, I've had it about six months and today decided to try out Microsoft Money on the recommendation of a friend but could not find it on the laptop. It came all bundled in with my last computer. 

Do I have to buy it separately?

• Moved by Ken Warren Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:08 AM off topic for windows home server (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:36 AM

All replies

• It was a horrible mistake for Microsoft to cancel Money.  I know they got beat up due to Malware and getting off of XP and needed to divert resources to fix those issues, and all that just as the economies tanked, but that is all behind us now.  Why couldn't Microsoft revisit that decision?  It is obvious that people really liked and would continue to upgrade and buy Microsoft Money.  I bought Quicken for my wife and it really is horrible software.  It is still in 2011 not up to the caliber of MS Money.  I read some literature that MS thought that no one would buy Money because there would be too many free online competitors.  I have used all of them, mint.com, bubble.com, etc.  and none of them come close.  They are just spam sites.  Managing personal finances is really a lot more than adding up my budget and downloading from my bank, and those sites don't even due that well and in exchange they just spam me.  I don't use personal financial management software because I am looking for a cheaper credit card rate.  At least they should release the code and development to another company to continue development.

It makes me sad, as if the world isn't getting better in terms of software.  It’s just getting more filled with crap apps from greedy people who think I am sheep.  I hope Microsoft will rethink following the herd down that path.  Please.

the mighty man
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:46 AM
  • They know (but won't say) that the online alternates to Money are nowhere near what Money is. The trouble is far too few users cared and were willing to pay to support the developers and support infrastructure it took. Oh, and at some level--maybe with no enthusiasm, they did supposedly try to find a new home for the code. Nobody they were willing to sell it to wanted it. Probably for the reason Microsoft didn't want it. Too many home users just won't pay for softeware.

Bottom Line: Microsoft's shareholders are still thrilled to be rid of Money. To them, getting rid of it was long overdue not a mistake. Sad, but there it is.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:11 PM