Ready to buy the full verion question RRS feed

• Question

• My trial doesn't expire until March but I like WHS so much and can't think of not using it. My question is, I have the WHS 2003. Do I have to install 2003 full version or can I install 2008 full version over this trial for the reinstall?

Thank you again,
    Marion
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:08 PM

Answers

• If you install the full version, it will wipe the current installed OS in case of a server reinstall and all disks in case of a new installation. So depending of the media set you get, you may have to update more or less. A media refresh was planned for Power Pack 3, but maybe your vendor has still older packages - which would simply mean more updates.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Monday, December 21, 2009 11:02 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:35 PM

All replies

• There is no Windows Home Server 2008. It's based on a version of Windows Server 2003.

If you want to reintegrate your drives wioth data intact, then using the recovery/reinstallation setup mode is the way to go.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:06 PM
  • I'm searching online for the best buy for WHS full version and saw WHS 2008 so I was confused. So if I buy WHS 2008 that will be essentially WHS 2003?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Since there is no product which is officially named WHS 2008, it is hard to tell what you will get.
    There is also no Windows Home Server 2003 ...
    Currently you can only purchase Windows Home Server as hardware or as Systembuilder/OEM version. There have been different media sets, initial version, later with Power Pack 1 (which has been released in 2008) and now with Power Pack 3.
    Olaf
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Now I have WHS with power pack 3 installed. When I get the full version will it update me to power pack 3 or will my installed version still be good?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:32 PM
  • If you install the full version, it will wipe the current installed OS in case of a server reinstall and all disks in case of a new installation. So depending of the media set you get, you may have to update more or less. A media refresh was planned for Power Pack 3, but maybe your vendor has still older packages - which would simply mean more updates.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Monday, December 21, 2009 11:02 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:35 PM
  • So now my trial version is up in 30 days. I bought the full version and trying to reinstall from the new WHS. Trouble is I'm not getting the reinstalltion pop up. It only has new install. Should I be using the install disk from the trial DVD?

Any help is apprecitated.

Marion
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Marion,
    please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, since this covers also some of the scenarios, in which no server reinstall is offered.
    First you could do is checking the Bios (SATA controller in IDE mode, system disk as boot drive).
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I read you article but I'm not falling into any of those categories. My WHS system works perfectly, no hard drive problems, and no error messages. My trial version is ending in a few weeks and I bought the full version but won't let me reinstall. I guess worse case scenario is a new install. I know I will lose 3 months of backups but at least I will have a system that works now.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:32 PM
  • According to this post you are out of luck and will have to copy your data somewhere else and perform a reinstallation:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5

If you don't have enough space to copy all your data off then I suggest you start a new thread detailing how many drives you have, a quick summary of what data is on your drive and how much disk space is in use on each drive.  We can then probably safely recommend how to go about a reinstallation whilst retaining your important data.

WHS Disk Management Add-In will help you get those answers:
    http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/

At the end of the day if you just used the server for testing as it was a trial and the data is not that important it's more straightforward to do a reinstall.
    --
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Of course all data saved is important. I'm in the process of doing a new install. I can back up the 5 computers again it just would have been nice to have data from 3 months ago just in case. Oh well. I do really like WHS and glad I bough the full version.

Marion

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Oh too late now - but you could have backed up the back up database to an external disc if you had one. 

Hopefully there won't be a next time but you should check out WHS BDBB:
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/WHS_BDBB

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Thank you Al, I will add on that add on. LOL.

Marion
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:42 AM