Getting 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.' error only when trying to do backup on the client RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WIn7x64 Ultimate laptop with two HDDS. The one with OS installed is SSD and the one for data is normal HDD. It was working well with the WHS1so far. Last week I installed WHS 2011 and started backup proces for clients. However the backup always fails on this particular laptop. So I started investigation and find that 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.' error has been recorded in the WIndows event. I searched web and found that that in most cases this error is linked to some sort of hardware problem. HOwever in my case, this only happend when the server tried to backup the client. Every time there are 4 same events are recorded. in the normal usage, it doesn't show anything like that.

So my question is that what does WHS2011 ado differently for the HDD I/O comparing to any other OS tasks?

Any suggestion and comment is appreciated. I may also want to go back to WHS v1 just to make sure that the same issue doesn't happen there.  

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:55 PM

Answers

• I would run chkdsk on the drive(s)

Grey

• Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:26 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:20 PM

All replies

• Found more information from the event log - WIndows Server section as below for this issue.

Backup of volume C: to SERVER did not succeed. Reason: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:46 PM

Grey

• Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:26 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:20 PM

Grey

Yesterday I ran CHKDSK /x /r and found bunch of bad sectors as well as broken links. After that the backup was sucessful. So this definetely is related with the SSD drive.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:28 PM
  • If it's still under warranty, RMA the drive.

Also, note that "... bunch of bad sectors as well as broken links ..." suggests that your most recent backup is of a damaged OS. Consider, once you've received the replacement drive, restoring your client form a previous backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:33 PM